My pot is missing some “beautiful” hair!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pot belly pi, Portly, has always had, that ‘beautiful’ pig hair. Nice and thick. Today I noticed a large area, about 4”x8” on her side, towards the top, where it’s gone! I know that this can happen to pigs, but she has always been so healthy. The only change is that Chris has been giving her some beer grain....when I’m not looking. It doesn’t look like lice or anything like that, but I don’t know if that would cause hair to fall out? We recently got...two months ago, some mini pigs, but they are pretty far from her, so I doubt they caught anything from them...plus, they have a clean bill of health. I have a new mini pig, just got a Saturday, with dry skin and I need to put coconut oil on his skin. Is this something I should do for her as well? She’s acting just fine...same on’ Port. :)

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are any other pigs in with her? And could she have rubbed on something?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
No other pigs, just my two new goats. The baby likes to jump on her back! Silly girl! She probably did scratch herself a lot, but sinc3 we’ve never had an issue, I’m wondering why she would scratch that hard to rub the hair off? I asked Chris if the baby jumpin* on her back could be making the hair thin, but he said no...the kid isn’t that big, and she doesn’t do it much.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with that....if it is lice, the castor oil could help with that but it can also help regrow hair more quickly.

A nice thing to have in your med chest is Nustock....good for soooooo many things, all natural ingredients and effective for just such things as this.

I can get it cheaper at my feedstore than I can get directly from the company or on Amazon. You can even make your own much cheaper than that.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with that....if it is lice, the castor oil could help with that but it can also help regrow hair more quickly.

A nice thing to have in your med chest is Nustock....good for soooooo many things, all natural ingredients and effective for just such things as this.

I can get it cheaper at my feedstore than I can get directly from the company or on Amazon. You can even make your own much cheaper than that.
I’ll look that up...I like to have my chest of goodie packed full for just these types of things. :)

The_V's

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ive noticed every time any pig loses hair always assume worms first, then do the checklist backwards from there. Pigs that itch to the point of bald spots usually have sarcastic mange which is basically scabies for humans and are caused by worms. Just because you don't see worms doesn't mean they aren't there. Also check her minerals... better to be safe than sorry