my pygmy is sick?

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Came home for lunch today and Grits didn't come out of the house. I checked on him and he was laying. I pulled him out and he fell over screaming. I quickly took him back to work. He'll be 6 wks old Sunday.

I posted about them in on another thread with ?'s was tols what I was doing was good except I need to switch hay.

His temp was low. What bloodwork we can do in house for goats was pretty close to normal. He was a touch dehydrated despite that fact he's been drinking. He's was grinding his teeth. All the vets(we still do see small farm animals there) thought maybe he had an ulcer from stress of moving. When we stood up he acted like he had to pee but nothing came out.
So when them took abdominal and chest xrays. It looks normal.

He started vomiting and it was then suggested that maybe he ate something toxic? Sugar my girl is fine.
He got some meds and I brought him home. He goes back with me in the morning. He did drink some and isn't grinding his teeth anymore.

Anyone of ya'll had a sick baby that was vomiting?

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay,..now what is he doing?
Is he laying there stiff? Or is he just curled up like he's tired?
Does he walk around? Does he eat?
What is his temperature?
What has his diet been for the last few days?

Vomiting does generally indicate poison.
Did they give him charcoal?
What meds did he get?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of my does bloated in July and then what she ate became toxic in her so she started vomiting. I eneded up giving her charcoal. Usually when their temp is low it means their rumen isn't functioning correctly. When their temp is high then their body is fighting infection.

If the vet thought he ate something toxic then what did he suggest/prescribe for him? Keeping him hydrated is important especially if he's vomiting. I was drenching my doe with Gatorade every hour.
The grinding of the teeth is just a normal response to pain. Goats will also stand with their heads against the wall when they're in pain.

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He got charcoal and penicillin.

His temp is 101.9. Breathing is normal. This morning he was happy go lucky and eating. Hasn't eaten since.
The past few days it has been purina goat chow, timothy hay and grazing. He's eaten some dried leaves too.
In the past hour and 1/2 he's been either curled up sleeping, standing, walking some and crying occasionally. Mostly crying when I leave him.
Usually when he stands up, he stretches for maybe 30 seconds then lays down again.
He has drank some water. Right now he's curled up sleeping and I just moved his bowl b/c his head was slowing sinking towards it. It acts very tired.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, I'd give him some form of Pro-biotic to help repopulate his rumen w/ good bugs.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay. What does his poop look like? Have you seen him urinate?
Do you have any probios paste? You know how to drench right?
I would drench him with some water if you can to keep him going for tonight. How much does he weigh?
In the morning, if you don't have it, get probios paste and sav-a-calf electrolyes plus(this has probios in it). I prefer to use just the save-a-calf to drench 5-6 times a day.
Also, if here, I would give a shot of Fortified B-plex.
What vaccines has he had?

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
His temp 5 minutes ago was 102.5. He weighs 10.4 lbs.

Lots of normal pellet poo and he had one big clump of pellets.
I was about to vaccinate him and Sugar tonight. Vaccine that farm vet told me to get. Its out in the garage fridge.

I will get the probiotics ya'll suggest tomorrow. Will hit feed store earlier b/c I haven't seen any at the clinic.

I wish the farm vet at work was in town or could be reached! Will try again tomorrow.
I've been doing lots of searching tonight and then finally dug thru my books from vet tech school. Granted they are 16 yrs old but figured looking up info wouldn't hurt. I have never worked in a large animal clinic so this part is new to me but I found info about ruminal acidosis and wondering if that's the problem. It said caused by sudden change in feed and he fits a lot of the symptoms. He did get a change in feed. Before he was eating the same thing as donkeys.
It mentioned milk of magnesia and had a dosage.

I gave him some and boy did he hate it! He looks better after about an hour. The grinding that had started back is less. He's more alert and looking at me when I say his name. He's still drinking water.

Its gonna be a long night b/c I don't think I can sleep!

wafflesmom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Its an hour later and he seems to be peacefully sleeping. He did have some diarrhea about 30 mins ago. I bagged it up to take to work.
Think I might try to get some sleep now since work is 5 hrs away.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hopefully he will be okay. Grinding is a pretty bad sign with a goat.
I would start drenching with the sav-a-calf electrolytes at this point,.... he needs those to push through this.
Ask your vet about SMZ-TMP as well,.....sounds like he may have a little entrotoxemia...... C & D anti-toxin would probably be helpful too at this point....
I would hold back on the grain and see that he eats his hay..

Latest posts