My Pyrenees Doesn't Guard Sheep, Goats or Chase Bears Hawk! post #26

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm so glad to hear Paris is doing so well and that you are very pleased with her :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bet Paris loves you just as much as you love her! :)

Such an inspiration. Takes a special person to be as patient as you have been.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris went from to chicken killer to chicken guard. Now she has gone from EXTREMELY food aggressive, to just food aggressive. I usually let the chickens out in the late afternoons after they have laid their eggs for the day. I generally have to wait for the girls to go to roost to feed Paris. She has snapped and growled at them before for trying to steal her food and I scolded her. I will not let her show aggression to the chickens. A light scolding breaks her heart and stays with her. We all love to brag about how smart our LGD's are, so here's one.

Paris knows not to snarl at the chickens. Sometimes I feed her anyway because she looks so pitiful or it is clean out the refrigerator day. The hens are shameless thieves and will go eat out of her pan! She puts up with it for a moment or two, then she lunges at them! There is an explosion of feathers, wings fluttering, and lots of BOK-BAWGAWK! I have seen her do this, it is hilarious and the chickens come right back and do it again. :lol: Sometimes their little birdy brains tell them to keep a respectful distance and all is well. Sometimes they really try her, but she is a good girl and I allow her to lunge at them to protect her food.

I got pics, wanted to share.
Here's the greedy little dog food snatchers trying to steal Paris's food!

2387_paris_and_chicken_vultures.jpg

I got it! I got the lunge! :lol:

2387_paris_lunge.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Paris is awesome! I was in the backyard a couple of days ago, just watching all the hens enjoying themselves. Paris was on duty, watching too. A big hawk swooped down, maybe 12 feet from the ground. Paris sprang into action, leaping in the air, barking and snapping her jaws at the hawk. It lit in a tree in the yard next to us. Paris was going nuts, the hens were on full alert, the hawk looked things over and decided to look for easier pickings. It spread its wings and flew away. I praised Paris and lavished love on her. Then DH and I herded the hens in the coop to remove temptation for the hawk. I am so proud of Paris.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an awesome girl. My dogs hate hawks and vultures too; they will bark forever until they are gone.

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I loved your post! Paris is lucky to have found you!:D

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This made me smile - sounds a lot like my LGD. He's sweet and very protective of the chickens, until they try to steal his food, and then he does the growl and lunge thing. He never hurts them, though. Always just scares them far enough away he can eat in peace. :D I'm impressed you got a picture of the lunge! That's not an easy thing to do, cause you're never sure just how long they'll tolerate the food stealing. ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern, I saw your post asking for updated pics of Paris. Just so happens, I snapped a couple today. Paris ADORES my husband.

Puppy Love :love

BJ and Paris.jpg

I love this one.
BJ Paris.jpg
BJ Paris.jpg

OOPS! Dunno know how I did that twice-oh well-I told ya'll I loved this pic!