My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:

NO! You put those big ol' gals in a Civic? How in the world and will you post a pic next time?! :lol:

There was an article in MEN awhile back that showed a gal transporting a big ewe in the back of her mini van...it was hilarious!

I won't have any help lifting sheeples into cars or trucks pretty soon, so I'm trying to think ahead.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:lol:

NO! You put those big ol' gals in a Civic? How in the world and will you post a pic next time?! :lol:

There was an article in MEN awhile back that showed a gal transporting a big ewe in the back of her mini van...it was hilarious!

I won't have any help lifting sheeples into cars or trucks pretty soon, so I'm trying to think ahead.
Hee hee, I was just kidding. :p My neighbor has a pick up and has offered to help me transport my hogs, I mean my sheep if I need him to.

It really sucks not having a pick-up truck. It is not in the budget at the moment as we are in MAJOR LOCK DOWN MODE, but one day...

I am very, very thankful I have good neighbors. I better make a batch of cookies for him now that I'm thinking of it. :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! My truck is really pitiful with a heavy load but it should be able to transport pigs...I mean, sheep. You should have seen me transporting Blossom....I had to drive 30 mph and in 4 WD to make it home!

Make that nice neighbor some cookies for me...so glad you don't have to use your Civic! :D

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I used to transport alpacas in my minivan before getting my truck and trailer. It turned into a farm van but it was easy to get them in and out and no backing worries.

For my Nigerians, I just put a big dog kennel in my Toyota Matrix and take them where I need to go. Works out great! I also use the Matrix if I have to take a cria up to the vet or something and don't have to take mom with me.

If I put anything in the back of the pickup, I have to have help. It is just too high. I'm terrible at backing the trailer so I don't always like to take the truck and trailer if I know there is no turnaround or a VERY large area to back in.

6 sheep & a llama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a VW eurovan - don't need a ramp for it either just tarps to cover seats and floor. I couldn't really see the designs on the 1st website very well. I checked out the sheep chair but I don't get it. What works for me is having my friend support them with her feet and legs ( after we tip them) while I trim hooves or whatever but might be nice to have something for when she is not available.
Good luck with a ramp. Are you putting them in a truck?

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yes! My truck is really pitiful with a heavy load but it should be able to transport pigs...I mean, sheep. You should have seen me transporting Blossom....I had to drive 30 mph and in 4 WD to make it home!
Make that nice neighbor some cookies for me...so glad you don't have to use your Civic! :D
I remember that story well Bee. :)

lacysummer

Just born
Reaction score
Hi Beekissed
where in WV are you from?
I am interested in raising sheep, possibly for milk and have not found any WV farms with sheep
you can contact me off the forum

Lacy

mmemumsminifarm

Just born
Reaction score
I loved reading your story. I love more that you used my favorite Bible verse. I am a mom of 6 (blended family) I have 3 grandsons and work a full time job. At 49 the one item on my bucket list was that I never brought my Hobby Farm dream to life. It all changed with 6 baby Silkies and 2 Barred Rock. Last year, I voiced a small wish to have to sheep. Avery told me to start researching. Living in Carolina does not give me many choices in the sheep arena. I fell in love with a breeder in Washington State. She had two miniature Katahdin/Cheviot withers for sale. I could tell by her web-sight that she truely loved and cared for her flock. Abraham and Pache flew to their new home the first of June, 2009. Avery and I secured our land against predators, built a small barn and find ourselves wanting more. We've rescued several bunnies and while at our favorite feed store last Saturday I inquired about getting a donkey....little did I know that the Holy Spirit was working, the owner said "you need to call this guy immediately, he needs to meet you" I was alittle taken back because all I had asked was "how do I go about looking at donkeys to protect my livestock". The next day Avery and I met Cocoa, the donkey and Chance, the sweetest miniature horse I have ever met.
You see, this young man had just lost his wife to cancer. Chance and Cocoa were her life. Separating was not an option. This man begged God to help him find homes for it was all just too much for him. Avery and I are bringing the boys home this Saturday, Dec 26, 2009. We now have 2 1/2 acres divided into three pastures. I know nothing about horses or donkeys...I just know that I was meant to have them. I will keep the donkey and horse in a separate pasture until they adjust to their new home. The can meet the sheep through the fence. How long does it take for the donkey to accept other animals? what about the droppings from the horse and donkey...is it harmful to sheep? Pache and Abraham are spoiled rotten and they sometimes play a little rough (not with me though) they are not trained with halters they just play in my back yard. Do you have any advice for me. Thank you for listening.

memum/Carol Iles

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carole, your story about the donkey and mini was very touching, what a blessing that God led you there at that time...it always amazes me to see God work things out, even for His animals!

That has happened to me twice before and it is a comfort to know that God is even concerned with the happiness of His creatures, just like the verse about the sparrow.

I don't know much about donkeys but I will tell you that many people around here have them in with their sheep and with great success. They become very protective of "their" sheep and seem quite content to live with the flock. I don't believe their individual internal parasites are transpecies, so it will actually be beneficial for them to graze together so as to cancel out each other's larvae cycle.

Please post pics when you can and tell us more about your hobby farm? So glad you came to this forum and am looking forward to sharing the experience of having sheep with you. I'm new at this also, so am learning all I can by reading, discussing and questioning everyone I know.

Latest posts