My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am enjoying this blog tremendously. I figure if for some reason my goats don't work out for me, I might still get sheep. Or I might get sheep sometime in the future regardless.
Right now I am enjoying my little goats. I plan on raising them as naturally as possible. I am glad the vet didn't raise an eyebrow, when I said I didn't want to immunize for anything, unless it was absolutely neccessary.
I figure, since I got these goats from a responsible farmer and we have not had any ruminants on this property for nearly 50 years at least, we shouldn't have anything nasty here that I need to concern myself with.
The vet suggested I take a fecal sample once a year and have it checked, just to make sure, and a tetanus shot one month before delivery of kids to pass the antibodies on to the babies.

Many people in my area are into alternative lifestyles, so raising animals and children naturally is fairly well accepted.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Denise, I haven't checked with my vet about the price of a fecal but I am curious about where my gals stand....just to get an idea. The farmer who sold them to me said, since I've never had sheep on the place that it's not likely they will get a worm problem.

I am so glad you got goats....yes, even goats! :p The smaller ruminants are just the right size for us women to manage and the start up costs are less than with cattle.

As for vaccines and tags, the farmer where I buy says I can sell my lambs with his and they wouldn't need to be tagged or have certain vaccines. This buyer sells them in lots, so they don't require tags and vaccines...I think they give each sheep vaccines at the market wether they have had them or not.

I'm glad I can sell that way if I wish....less hassle.

I've been reading up about short scrotuming male lambs and I'm thinking I would like to try this. Have you ever heard of this practice?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cannot describe the beauty of this day! But...I'll try..... :D

The grass is so deep green and lush right now that all the colors of the animals are in sharp relief against the lawn and orchard. The apple trees are in bloom and every breeze gives a shower of white and pink twirling onto glossy chickens and happy sheep.

It was very cool today and clear as a bell....the sheep really loved this weather and were in constant motion, leaping, running and playing. I would venture to say that these sheep are in the peak of health and vigor right now, bright-eyed and bushy tailed~literally! :lol:

I'm taking some pics tomorrow of all the spring colors and sights on this land....my heart just swelled with joy all day as I worked on the garden fencing and did odd jobs around the place. Pure bliss, and I thank God for the opportunity to be here and be doing what I am doing. :love

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a pic of the Bettys and our visiting loaner ram, Big Moe, yesterday. We really love having him here, he is a real hoot and a big ol' baby! They are currently shedding off some of their winter wool/hair.

82_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_076.jpg

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Awww.
It looks weird to me though, our trees have leaves on them already :lol:
But it does look very pretty and serene.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I see leaves in the upper right hand corner of that picture!!!! Or is that goat food? :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are just starting to leaf out...and Ugly Betty is trimming up all the lower limbs of the apple trees. I swear, if I get a prolapsed ewe it will be her! :rolleyes:

Here is the orchard right now....

5508_misc_scenery_sheep_calf_butchering_098.jpg

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bee - do yours get all itchy and cranky during shedding? My Portia is panting and loves to be scratched around the 'edges.' I can gently pull wool out, and she usually likes it, but over all, she seems hot and miserable. Spring came too fast here. :(

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine don't seem too cranky but they are loosening up my newly installed fencing by rubbing their entire bodies on it, trying to shed some wool! :he

I'm going to catch them and divest them of a lot of it as soon as I can. I've pulled out snatches of it as they walk by and it comes out easily with a mild tug. Now, the ram will let me pull it out and he closes his eyes and holds real still. Must feel good to him!

We are having some real cool spring so far, so my girls aren't suffering from the heat right now....I'm sure they would be cranky if they were! :p

I can't wait to see them all sleek and skinny! :)

Latest posts