My Sheep Journal~ I'm a grandma! Black Betty had twins!!!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW, Royd!!! That is one beautiful hunk of beef in your avatar!!! Can you post the full pic? I think the Galloways are a great and beautiful breed.

Post a pic of your hay feeder? :)

Royd Wood

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: Bee - yes she is a chunky lady - you can check out the herd and other 4 legged friends on my website including the Romney sheep. i have said this before and will say it again - I have found the sheep fasinating to have around and just love em to bits, they are a big part on the farm now and found a crackin ram who has been having some fun with the ladies - cant wait for lambing again

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I checked out your website and was amazed at how nice it is! Did you design that or did you pay someone? Those are very healthy looking animals....I'd say you probably have plenty of customers?

I'm flattered you like this journal after seeing your setup and farm website. :)

Royd Wood

Reaction score
My beloved did it Bee - she is great at that sort of stuff and we are working hard to build up customers. Heres a couple of pics for you and keep up the blog as we love it.

1463_farm_shots_022.jpg

1463_farm_shots_016.jpg

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Royd, I just cannot get over how LONG your cow is!! I don't think I've ever seen a beef cow that long before!! And what a topline!

Thanks for the pics....I may show them to my sis, so she can see what a REAL Galloway looks like! :lol: She has one but yours makes it look like scruffy, little dog.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well....I will be getting rid of my sheeples next weekend, so this journal will be coming to a close. I hope everyone has learned a little about some things, as I did. Their original breeder is taking them back home....this means I can visit anytime I want and see their lambs. This I love!

It would be real nice to have an all natural section for sheep like they do for the goats, as everyone insists they are so different.

I have had fun experimenting with an all-natural husbandry for these gals and funny as it may seem, the breeder from whence I bought them has been picking my brains about using the same methods! Go figure! :p

I loved my self feeding system this year and so did the sheep....they also loved their little sheep hut. Their new/old owner is coming this next week to look at the sheep hut and to buy up all my stock panels and sheep equipment.

I couldn't have picked a better breed for my first sheep and would recommend Katahdins to anyone else getting into sheep for the first time. No real health problems, easy birthing, thrifty feeders, sweet and quirky personalities and beautiful animals. They do well on browse and graze and don't seem to need or utilize corn/feed like other breeds.

Good luck to you all with your sheep herding and I will be reading along with great interest as you all learn and develop ways to cope with your livestock. :frow

theawesomefowl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, thats just too bad! Beekissed, you gave me the idea to get hair sheep! I found a reasonably close breeder, and maybe I can actually get them...now you won't have them anymore! :hit

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...I expect you to have a journal documenting your progress with this special breed and I will be anxiously awaiting the pics and stories! I'll have to live my sheep life vicariously through you guys now, so don't disappoint me!!! :D

I've had a ball doing this and I can't say that one part has been useless....I hope you have just as much fun, satisfaction and love while raising your sheep. They are amazing animals! I never really knew how they grab you around the heart until I had some of my own....I think it's because they look to you for guidance and security. Sort of like a child..... :love

Latest posts