MY SWINE feeding plan

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have my pigs which I buy as feeders and are kept for 5months .so I plan to free feed them for the first 2months so they can gain rapidly, then in the last 3months I will hand feed them, also I will be feeding small amounts of hard boild eggs through out the 5months
This is not the first time I have raised pigs, but the people I sell them to want a leaner carcass. So I think this plan will work but I want some opinions from my fellow pig raiser before I use this feeding plan

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you really mean hand feed? We are taking our first pigs to slaughter this weekend. I would never hand feed a pig.

As for the feeding plan, I would do more level feed plan across the entire growth. If they are used to a higher quantity and you slow it down, it might not work the way you planned. I would expect a slower growth overall would be better for lean meat. Basically, don't build the fat in the first place and then try to burn it off.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you really mean hand feed? We are taking our first pigs to slaughter this weekend. I would never hand feed a pig.

As for the feeding plan, I would do more level feed plan across the entire growth. If they are used to a higher quantity and you slow it down, it might not work the way you planned. I would expect a slower growth overall would be better for lean meat. Basically, don't build the fat in the first place and then try to burn it off.

Thank you for answering my question and saving me time and money on my pigs and I will be using my normally method of hand feeding throughout the growth process because I have gotten good results in the pervious groups I have raised like you said a level feeding plan Is the best

Latest posts