My TWO AGH gilts are -- update new piglets!!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought them at 8 weeks, dutifully cared for them & bred them to the boars, who then went to freezer camp. Now Rosie & Tiny were a full year old before breeding (a few months later than originally planned) and should farrow on 12/1 & 12/5 They are sisters and always together. They have made themselves a nice bed under the carport, rather than keep using the pig huts that they have and were raised within. I suspect due to heat & their getting larger, as they like to share their hut. Not a problem until they farrow. I have been watching and this morning nothing but tonight....one had decided the time was near and she needed to prepare. There were these stemy things lining their bed area under the carport.

So I quickly provided a few large piles of dry cut grass for them to use. Within 2 hrs one had moved the pile into the nest area. Added another pile and a third pile was put into one of the huts. I then walked them to the hut. Rosie sniffed and walked away (she is due first), then Tiny politely walked in and nosed around, rearranging a little....then back out. As I went to check the nest area tiny went to it, sniffed and then walked to the extra pile (now 1/2 gone, added to nest) and laid down. I am concerned about two sows being in one nest, possibly. Watching hard but not been able to find them sleeping, so can't say yet. Will check later tonight.

It's exciting and scary but, hoping for best with delivery when time comes. While Rosie won't get any "decorator of the year" awards, I am thrilled that this first time mom is instinctively preparing!!

image2.jpg

Then I added a pile of grass...2 hrs later it was in nest (thankfully :) )

1125161538.jpg

Notice NO digging under the carport (house) ... no potty there, etc. The pile on right was replaced once she incorporated. See the digging beyond the carport?? Well now here's more of their plowing.....

image4.jpg

This is only about 1/4 of their area ! The rest is similar. Adding another acre once farrowing is over. Just need to move one section of fence while they are preoccupied. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hoping your upcoming farrowing goes as easily as mine did! 'Course, this was a second time farrowing for this mama - her daughter from her first litter will be due next!

Just noticed today for the first time that the 3 day old piglets have started going outside their stall to do their business.

Still not sure what I've got - but think it's 4 males and 4 females. That's ok with me.

I love me some piggies!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh this is exciting! I bet you are on pins and needles waiting on piglets! I can't wait to see them!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hitSad day. Rosie farrowed this morning and I found 5 piglets, all expired. It was odd that they were not together. 1 in one hut, 2 in another and 2 more in the huge nest made under the carport. None appeared damaged but, not seemed to have ever nursed either. Last check at 11:30PM & no signs of anything happening.
Alas, something did. One did ooze some blood from it's mouth when I picked it up, making me think maybe layed upon. All were in & covered with straw. I was not extreme weather. None of the others appeared injured in any way, all were normal and within an ounce of one another, similar in size. No abnormalities seen. Very difficult to accept.

I am wondering why they were "everywhere". My first thought is that the sister, Tiny, may have played a part in Rosie not laying down and doing the job. Watched her for a few hrs to be sure she was looking to be done. No signs of more birthing or discomfort.

Rosie wondered around to each place she had left them and kept looking for them. She followed me around "talking". It was sad. I moved some fence panels and penned Tiny into an area with a hut but next to the other one so she & Rosie were close and able to nose each other. Hopefully she will be able to have some live piglets. Due in a few days.

Previously I have said that I wasn't sure I would breed again & it would depend on how things went. Obviously, not well.:( So I would say this will be the last time breeding. I can buy feeders. In all my years of breeding animals, this is the worst time -- entire litter. I feel I should have separated them. Hindsight is always better, guilt. :hide :he Will never know for sure. Just don't feel there will be more breeding after this.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh noooo - I'm so sorry! :hugs

When I bought my sow she had two piglets by her side. I asked the original owners how many she'd actually had and was told 6 or 7 - but that "something happened" to the others. Their sows all farrowed out in the woods with no help. She had all of them running together and they thought maybe the piglets got confused and tried to follow the other sows. I have no idea if that's what happened to yours, but maybe, just maybe if she had another chance she'd be just fine.

Really hope Tiny comes through for you.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry :hugs how tragic:hit

Don't beat yourself up though. It could have nothing to do with having them together. I hope Tiny gives you a healthy litter!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
p.s. forgot to add that my two were together when she farrowed...I separated them when I found them and they have only been back together for a couple of days.

My guess is that as a first timer - your gal just freaked out a little. I've heard so many stories about first time farrowings being a nightmare.

I'm on pins and needles for my little gilt to go. Have no breeding date, just have to guess that she's got a couple weeks to go - if not more.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mama of our two piglets Hammy and Monty crushed all but one of her first litter. The next litter, all survived and thrived. He was nervous about breeding her again after the first time but it worked out beautifully.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about your piglets. Don't be so hard on yourself. I raised rabbits and first time does sometimes lost the whole litter, it was real iffy. Big hugs.