My two skinny alpacas....

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
195_20121107_111054-1.jpg

This is Highboy. ...he is about 5 years old

195_20121107_110848-1.jpg

This is Crystal Ball she is about 4.
I have wormed both with Ivomec....Safeguard....Valbazen.....Ivomec Gold since I've had them...1 year plus.
I now have the two separate from the others with free choice food which they eat throughout the day. They also get free choice coastal hay. They do seem to have.picked up a little. All the other alpacas and llama are round....no issues.
I am avoiding any alfalfa after having problems right after feeding the others it....... I am thinking about adding a little horse additive I am using on my 21 year old horse that has high fat...flax...and come other good things.....

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
What cause do you think that they are thin? Could it be that they are pushed out of the feed? Did you have a fecal done that showed worms?

It sounds good that they are by themselves and able to eat without the others bothering them. If you wanted, you could also add shredded beet pulp and calf manna.

I had a female alpaca that I always had to feed separately because she was such a slow eater.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't get a fecal yet. Finding a.vet that will even look at alpacas poo is hard to find..lol and finding anyone who knows about them..even harder and far away. I did find a.service that you can and in finals by mail that I'm going to try. so I just wormed...then waited to see.results...then used the next.... Etc. the problem with the alfalfa is that Peaches got bad stomach aches Nd then I lost the one female not long after giving it..then the baby developed bumps on his skin by eyes. May not be related....but with my luck.....I'm not risking it anymore. They do seem to be picking up more. I just don't like the exposed topline on them and a bit flat on the.top rib.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas and llamas do better on grass hay anyway. I never fed alfalfa hay to my alpacas. For weight gain, I would always get calf manna and shredded beet pulp too.