Mystang's Homesteading Circus

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad your son wasn't cut too badly and yes, hope he will learn from it. But we all forget so just be prepared to say "" ahem, didn't something happen the last time you tried to sharpen the knife TOWARDS YOU ???? "". Eventually.... I sometimes forget some things on the tractors, but it usually isn't going to hurt me. Now, the cows are different... sometimes they can hurt you when you are "doing everything right"...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trial by fire--my favorite way to learn. Screw it up, get it right next time!

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The terrible thing is when you tell them you hope they learn from that mistake and then you make the same mistake in front of them. Had that happen a couple times. "Dad, didn't you just tel....."
"Son, remember that gift you were wanting for your birthday?"...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The terrible thing is when you tell them you hope they learn from that mistake and then you make the same mistake in front of them. Had that happen a couple times. "Dad, didn't you just tel....."
"Son, remember that gift you were wanting for your birthday?"...

You don't change the subject, you say, "you know you are right. I did just tell you not to do this ....this way. I need to remember that. You are smart to realize that I forgot, and so I hope that it will help you to remember to do it the right way....."

OR you can say, "you are right; I did tell you that. I was just testing you and wanted to see if you were listening to me. I am PROUD of you for remembering what I said, and noticing that I was doing it wrong. Good for you."

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted here but there really isn't much new to tell. Winter has been all about focusing on school. Since it warmed up, I did go out yesterday and cut some wood. The -20f depleted us. Today we woke up to news of a new lamb being born. Sounded great until we went out to check on her and it looks like the lamb isn't being fed by the dam. Every time the doe went towards her she moved away. When I placed the doe next to her she tried to move. I pinned the dam against the stall and moved the doe next to the udder but the doe didn't want anything to do with it. The doe isn't really walking around either. I've isolated the Dam and doe in their stall for the day and let everyone else go out to pasture. We have a field trip to go on today so when we get back I'll check to see if she (doe) has eaten. If she hasn't I'll start trying to bottle feed her.

Unfortunately I don't think this dam is a good mom. Last year she birthed a ram and we had a similar problem where she wouldn't feed him and I had to bottle feed then too. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong today.

Here is a terrible picture of the doe.

6684.jpeg

The dog is taking better care of it than the dam lol.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She did have a blob of blood on her nose. This is all very much in love with what happened last year for Claire Belle

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she isn't doing any better than that, 2nd time around, she needs to find a new place to reside.... like either your freezer or the stock yard where she will be in someone's freezer. Don't perpetuate poor mothering. And a single lamb to boot.... nope, different address. Preferably a permanent terminal one.