Mystang's Homesteading Circus

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today was a very interesting day. We didn't have any plans today except for working on the door to the lean-to. Clara Bell, our other Awassi whom we weren't for sure if she was pregnant or not, was acting strange. She'd go off by herself to a tree and dig herself a dirt hole next to it so she could lay down. Later in the day she finally made her way back to the lean-to where we were and the children noticed her lifting her head and bearing her teeth. I wasn't sure what it was but knew she was in pain so we all took a break from the door to watch over her. It didn't take us too long to realize what was going on. She ended up having a ram. I'll upload a video of the birth once it finishes uploading on youtube. It was really awesome to witness this birth. My wife got to actually watch a birth instead of being the person birthing. That was a first for her I think. The children all got a life lesson about where they came from. They thought a doctor came in with a knife and cut the child out.

Earlier in the day my son was trying to find Clara Bell, (before we knew what was going on) and ended up stumbling over a fawn laying in our pasture. Yeah, you know your pasture is long when deer start throwing their fawns around in it. I wasn't sure what to do but apparently that is what they do. Have a fawn, keep it hidden, then come back for it later. We made sure to keep away from it after that so our scent wouldn't be on it and we also kept our dog away as well. I thought about raising it and then having it for dinner but my wife nixed that idea. She really takes the fun outta things sometimes.:plbb

We never managed to get that door up but we DID manage to spend LOTS of money at the store for items for the door so that's a plus.....:barnie

Oh, then I found a turtle. Our property was just a wonderful place for random animals to come hang out lol. Honestly thought, it was a great day with many things experienced that would have never been experienced in the city! :thumbsup:weee:woot

That being said, it did have it's downsides. The lamb doesn't seem to know what a teat is even if it hit him in the face....no really. My wife stuck the teat in his face and he sucked on the poop wool. Darwin's survival of the fittest is at work here. I sat Clara Bell down to shear a bit of wool off so the lamb could find her teat. Just a bit......and I almost did a post birth C-section. Opened her up good.:hit Sprayed disinfectant on it and put the shears down. I'm calling someone over to shear my sheep or teach me how to. When I start seeing the insides of the sheep I want to keep that's when I step back and get professionals to help. Sheep do NOT have thick hides.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'd think that someone with a perchance of cutting his fingers half off would have pity on a poor, defenseless ewe, right after giving birth.......and NOT go after her with a pair of shears. :lol: Good thing your wife had doctors and a hospital when the babies were born. ;)