Mystang's Homesteading Circus

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can try to tube feed her but I have a feeling the lamb is shutting down on you so this might be a last resort. Have you tried to drench it with some Nutridrench? I haven't had to do it but I had this video bookmarked in case.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep her warm. put her in a small box, cut a hole for her head to hang out so you don't scorch her lungs with hot air. Cut a hole in the other end and put a hair dryer in it and turn it on. Don't walk away, keep an eye on her. You want to warm her up, not cook her. Then wrap her in a towel and let the kids snuggle her and keep her warm. Feed her as instructed above.

I don't keep sheep in the house, but i'll bring in a little baby that needs help in a heartbeat.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The lamb is still alive. Eating more even though it's still a chore getting her to down the milk. Her stomach isn't sunken in anymore which is good, and she is "walking" around a bit more though not what you'd consider healthy, more like depressed. The one major thing I'm still very concerned about is that she hasn't pooped. She pees clear but she has yet to poop. I've given her enemas and some mineral oil. Next I'll try some castor oil if I can find it. I'm also going to give her some Karo syrup to see if I get boost her energy even temporarily.

I was curious if she was running a fever so my wife and wanted to Google the temp. I typed in "internal temp for lamb". It came back with 140f for medium, 175 for well done.....not really what I was going for lol. The nurse told me to Google body temp for lamb. Much lower 101-103f. Both had a good laugh, the lamb probably wasn't so they'll with the conversation.

Thanks for the thoughts and asking. I'll try to keep updated a bit more.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE Just killed the lamb. As I'm sure most of you already figured, it wasn't going to make it. Today it was so lethargic that it couldn't stand up. The head kept curling unnaturally to the opposite side she was laying on. She wouldn't drink the milk. Started shaking a bit. I made the call to put her out of her misery. Kinda sucks since she was the only lamb we got this year but it happens. Haven't told children or wife yet. Really don't want to.

Most would have probably made that call Sooner and for good reason but if I hadn't tried everything I could then if this had happened again I wouldn't know any more than I did before she was born.