Mystang's Homesteading Circus

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was woken up this morning by a "plop, plop, plop" sound. Turned on my phone light, thankfully, and followed the sounds. Turns out there is water coming out of my ceiling fan.... Onto my bed covers.
That sucks. Leaks are hard to find since water runs the easiest path. The source can be quite a way from the drip drip drip.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My wife asked if I had found anything else out when she was at work so I sent her this text.

"Here's my synopsis. I believe that the water is coming from outside the house. It's coming into the house from an area that isn't sealed off which needs to be sealed off someone in the near future. I further believe that if something isn't done about this in the near future that there will be water damage from the aforesaid water coming into the house from the aforementioned penetration of the before mentioned house."

I thought it was fairly accurate:D =D.

I will end up getting some cauking for around the window, where the water drains out as well along with some tar for parts of the roof that I'm just not sure about.

The attic area had a bunch of that old insulation still inside that hasn't been removed after I had the house spray foamed. I had to crawl through it to get to various parts. After two showers and 3 sets of clothes I'm still itching lol. That darn angel hair glass sure sticks around.

Today was the first birthday for my daughter. One year ago today my wife and I were walking around in the pasture trying to bring the contractions on. Warm and sunny then. DD is the first child my wife birthed in this house. Thinking on that just makes me even more happy to be here and have her as me wife.

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The other day we Ran out of seasoned wood yesterday. We use a wood stove to heat the house. It saves us close to $100 on the bill. Since we ran out though I figured would could go ahead and handle a higher bill for about a month. I turned on the furnace. The furnace didn't turn off and the temp was going down instead of up. (The pump probably has gone bad). I looked at the thermostat and it read "heat aux". I looked that up and it told me that the furnace can't keep up with the cold and so the coils are being heated to provide additional heat. This, in turn, is a very inefficient way of heating and so the bill raises Sharply. The temp was 40f. Definitely should have been able to keep up. The furnace was on for 24 hours straight. Going to love that bill.

Needless to say, the next day I spent outside cutting up downed trees and splitting them. Fortunately I have 7 acres and the wood I needed to cut was at the farthest end of my acreage. Oh, and the tractor couldn't get there, it's down. I lost count of how many loads i wheel barrowed. It was down hill, then up hill. I was Dead afterwards.

I woke up today feeling like a truck hit me then a pyschopathic chiropractor moved every bone out of where it was supposed to be. So, feeling so wonderful, I went out after school with the children and started clearing the thorn bushes, briars, and vines away from the back pasture fence. We got a good start on it and found that the fence was mostly still good. Yey for little victories. Depending on the weather we'll try to do something else tomorrow.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our HVAC was added when we renovated our house so it is all outside so that auxiliary function really eats up the electricity. We never set it over 66 at night because it just won't get there when the temps are in the 30's or under and we don't have temps like you do (normally).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like to sleep cold in the winter and pile on the quilts. We set our thermostat at 68* at night.
I wish we had wood heat. We have lots of trees, but no fireplace, wood heater or anyplace to even put one. When we cut trees, we cut up and give away the wood. Our DD and family has a fireplace, we keep them supplied first, then neighbors. One neighbor has a log splitter and brings it over. We share the wealth in our neighborhood.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was the first birthday for my daughter. One year ago today my wife and I were walking around in the pasture trying to bring the contractions on. Warm and sunny then. DD is the first child my wife birthed in this house. Thinking on that just makes me even more happy to be here and have her as me wife.

Awww..... this is so sweet! You need to read this to your wife.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The outside wood furnaces are very popular here. Keeps the mess outside. The insurance companies are much happier; no chance of fires inside the dwelling. It is great for the hot water heating, and because there is quite a bit, it doesn't run out as fast as some "regular" hot water heaters. They do cost from 5-10,000 to get set up. You usually fill twice a day, they are thermostatically controlled. If you have a hot air system, they pipe the water in, and it goes through something along the lines of a "radiator" that will heat the air as it is blown into your duct work. Baseboard hot water heat is a little more efficient, but it is very doable. That would be my choice at this point in time, except for my kitchen wood cookstove, I really would like to get somewhere that I can take it out of storage and use it.

They also are great if you have radiant floor heat, as the floor stays comfortably warm. One of my farmers has it in his shop and they all congregate there even if they are not working on any projects in the shop. It does make it more enticing to get all those repair things caught up with in the winter.