Mystang's Homesteading Circus

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CntryBoy777 talked me into kC ducks to help with snails and sluges passing deer parasites to the goats, the ducks eat bugs and all kinds of snails, I live a hour from Gainsville Florida and they call this part of Florida "the swamp" .....its so hot, humid and wet in the summer that parasites bloom all year long. ...I have seen less snails in just the short time we have had the ducks....you may want to consider some to help you out.
Very sorry that you have to put your ewe down :( putting down a loved animal hurts really bad :hugs:hugs

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lost a ram lamb today out of no where. Went to let it come in and found it dead.

Killed the ewe that wasn't able to walk. Children took it hard but it was a good learning experience.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really sad news....:hugs....I know it is extremely difficult without having a vet around ya....and not knowing, for sure, what it is that ya are dealing with....I was wondering if your county agent may be able to assist ya....since they are usually from an Ag college....the sheep eat much closer to the ground than goats do and can be more suseptable to those parasites, for that reason....Khaki Campbell ducks have a stronger drive to eat the snails and slugs than the other breeds of ducks, but in your location ya may not wish to deal with the ice daily for them....I've been thru that area many times driving a truck and spent many nights in Seymour at the TA.....I hope ya can overcome this and that it isn't something contagious.....:hugs

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Two in one day :( Any idea what happened to the lamb?
His heart stopped.

Honestly though, we haven't a clue and I didn't have time to do an autopsy. He used to be very active and energetic but his behavior changed about a month ago. Not sure if you saw the video I posted about anew ram lamb herding the older sheep but that was him.

About a month ago he stopped running around crazy, didn't care about being with the other sheep, seemed very depressed etc. He still ate, drank, had a healthy appearance and was otherwise fine. Just his behavior. I chalked it up to normal changes in growing up. Guess I chalked it up wrong.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Currently haying the front pasture. This is my grass. Judging by the looks of it, what can you all tell me about it being at the correct stage for sheep eating it during the winter. Is it good for that or better for bedding. Was I too late, too early etc.
20190820_094752.jpg

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hate the wheel rake. Left so much hay behind no matter how I set it. I ended up having to take my entire side pasture with a leaf rake in order to get windrows which means tomorrow I'll need to do it again.