Mystang's Homesteading Circus

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lots of updates, one question to those who might know. What causes a knife head on a haybine to break? The haybine is a sickle bar type.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
No clue but had to chime in your daughter is stunning and tell your wife congratulations and tell her to get some snuggles. From one momma to another. Baby's are a delight . The older ones arent so bad either but we won't tell them that atleast not mine they would let it go to their heads lol. They already know they are cute. Anyways God Bless.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of updates, one question to those who might know. What causes a knife head on a haybine to break? The haybine is a sickle bar type.
Maybe see the WTFarmGirl YouTube channel? She bought a used haybine and had to fix some stuff. I don't remember if she talked about breaking a knife head.

My GUESS is there is something bent that it is hitting. I guess another option is hitting a rock or something though the part that sticks out in front should protect them from that.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I actually just watched that video of her replacing the sickle bar yesterday. She never mentioned what caused it to break.

When I raise the haybine up if I'm having to run over a spot which I already have a row made, (so the PTO is still on and spinning) it makes a loud rattling noise. Well it did. Haven't a clue if it still does lol. Think I'm going to walk around the spot where it broke when I get home tomorrow and just see if something is there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes there is an obvious reason.... like has been said, hitting a rock. The guards should protect it though. The most often reason is just age and the metal gets brittle.... especially if left out in the weather over the years. And the idea that it might have been bent so that you heard it when it was lifted up to make a turn for the next row. Also, make sure that one of the guards wasn't loose.... when just running back and forth with no hay being cut... a loose guard could cause it to hit just wrong ( you were hearing a loud rattling) and the speed and all will make it snap. Where on the bar did it get broken? There could be many reasons. Also, if one of the triangle "teeth" (blades) came loose, it could have caused it to jam into a guard and hit it just right( or wrong) to cause it to snap. Doesn't happen often. Mostly I used to have to replace where a blade would come off, or loose on one side, because the little rivets will wear and/or pop out