Mystang's Homesteading Circus

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your 9 year old daughter crawled through that tiny hole and worked on plumbing? I think that is awesome. And your 11 year old drove the tractor? Totally awesome. Your kids are getting an upbringing that sadly, very few children will even come close to. You are a good Dad.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is it twisting/kinking while being raised such that it won't go through the pulley?
While the center pulley is being lowered or raised the rope twists around itself. You may be able to sort of see the rope twisting around itself in the video when I'm raising the load.

EDIT: I just looked at both videos and the failed attempt sort of shows what I mean. The ropes are wound around each other as I lift it up.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
While the center pulley is being lowered or raised the rope twists around itself. You may be able to sort of see the rope twisting around itself in the video when I'm raising the load.

EDIT: I just looked at both videos and the failed attempt sort of shows what I mean. The ropes are wound around each other as I lift it up.
User error!!!!! ;)

Notice in the first video how the lower pulley is 180° to the upper pulley, the ropes are already crossed. Nothing to do with the type of rope but the position of the lower pulley and hooks as they were put into the bales. That isn't the case in the second video. The load couldn't rotate as it rose up until it got to the opening but didn't have time to do that. Had you known to look for that and could have stopped pulling while the twist undid itself (possibly with assistance from the hay stackers) it wouldn't have been twisted when it hit the upper pulley.

Hopefully that will save you the cost of a very long length of new rope.