Mystang's Homesteading Circus

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love cast iron skillets. I have several old Wagner skillets. When I left my ex, I took an old iron skillet that had belonged to his grandmother because I knew he wouldn't value it. years later, I gave it to my son and he treasures it. Today's cast iron is grainy, not smooth like the fine cast iron skillets of long ago.

Congrats on your find, that is a very nice old skillet.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That saw mark is 24"long if that gives you any idea of how wide that log was.
I had a few like that (no *I* didn't cut that tree down!). I cut an X into the top of them then wedge split them. Only way to get them small enough to put on the splitter.

So far that's about 20ft x 8 feet tall.
Nearly a full cord :D

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Think I've fixed the hay loft door but I need to wait till I clear out more of that wood before I can test it.

We worked on the garden a bit more today. I had to go to the store so while I was gone the wife and children started untying the fence from the T-posts which were around the garden. Did a darn good job especially since that was 2 hours of work I didn't have to worry about.

After lunch we all went back out and started digging post holes with the good ol' post hole digger since the Auger decided it wanted to choke out everytime I engaged the blade. Eight holes sure is a lot but when you have 2 post hole diggers, 1 Spade, 8 children and yourself, things are delagated well and as 3 people are making holes, others are placing the wood posts in the holes and filling the holes in with dirt.

After that came stretching the fence. Would have gone well... If I had U shape nails...but I didn't, and for some reason people feel they needed to eat so we put things up for the day.

Full day though so I can't complain. Ready to eat, take some Percocet, get a shower, and go to sleep.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've got quite the team of workers! What are the ages of the kids?

You definitely need some fence nails to attach the fence. Is the fence H braces at the corners and T posts between? You could likely get the wire tied back into itself without the fence nails but it is a lot easier if you've got it nailed into the post first so it doesn't slide.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What are the ages of the kids?

Eight children from 12 - 2 y/0. They are fairly good for the most part but just like everyone they have their limit which is generally much smaller than mine lol. For the help they provide though, I guess I'll keep them. :plbb

You could likely get the wire tied back into itself without the fence nails but it is a lot easier if you've got it nailed into the post first so it doesn't slide.

Yeah....I kinda cheesed it a bit lol. I took a couple of nails, drove them in a bit, then bent them over the fence to hold it in place long enough for me to tie it around the post to itself. There rest will be nailed in Monday and connected to the T-posts.

There wood posts are supported by the H-brace system, every corner and both sides of the gate. Corners get 2 braces, one on each side. I'll try to get a picture Monday if we get it done.

Going to be in the 50's and raining next week so not sure how much I'll be getting done outside. Probably try to fix the finish mower and clean the workshop/make sure all my woodworking tools are in working order.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 12 Y/O gets more wood stacked than the 2 Y/O. But heck they are helping and yes parental adults do seem to have a much stronger work ethic. You'ld think I was handing out cruel and unusual punishment asking my 2 girls to do most anything .... and they are both in their 20's.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing the 12 Y/O gets more wood stacked than the 2 Y/O. But heck they are helping and yes parental adults do seem to have a much stronger work ethic. You'ld think I was handing out cruel and unusual punishment asking my 2 girls to do most anything .... and they are both in their 20's.
On most days the 12yo gets more wood lol but that 2 year old is pretty darn helpful.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Finished the garden fence today with oldest son and daughter help. Here's a look at the overview. A few of the H-braces in the picture as well as a V-brace (think that's what it's called anyway). I'm pleased with it. Up next to the lean to there's some things that need to be cleaned up a bit but I'm very pleased with the outcome, mainly because it doesn't feel so trashy, more finished.
20200330_182825.jpg

Then we have my....."what an I going to do here" moment. I know they make pieces that go from a metal post to a wood post but I don't have any. What I do have are lots and lots of cedar and locus wood lol so I decided to nail one side to the bottom of the wood pole and hand drill a hole on the other side next to the metal pole. Then I rana chain through that hole, rapped the chain around the pole and tightened it down in one of the extra bolts that was on the pole.
20200330_115509.jpg

And here is Sunny testing it out for me so I know if it'll break or not. I'm so lucky to have him around...:th
20200330_120243.jpg

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He sure is a pretty big pain in my rear end.

Just thought I'd finish your thought:D =D:plbb

He's an alright ram though. He likes to... Well, ram things but after watching him I honestly think that's how he shows affection... Or something like that. I just hope he's more fertile than he seems to be. One out of 4 ewes isn't a good percentage.

Latest posts