Mystang's Homesteading Circus

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We brought home a dog for my daughter today. A reward for all her hard work around her. It's an 11 month old Akita. Seems like a good dispositioned dog. She had been purchased previously but the owners didn't really know anything about Akita's and wanted a lap dog so they returned her. She's not trained so we have our work cut out for us there. I told her no on something, can't remember what she did but I simply used a firm voice, no yelling or anything, no hitting. Just no, and when she obeyed I told her she was good and loved on her. When I loved on her she submissively peed which I find normally happens when a dog is trained with corporal punishment. If that's the case then we have an even more difficult if a time training her.

We picked our sweet potatoes. Well the children and wife did, I was at work. Seems weird not being the one to do that. We ended up with a decent amount. One of them was about the size of a football.

Nothing else new. Work 6 days still. Try to spend a much time with family etc. Hope all is well with you all.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear the update. I hope the dog will learn quickly.... and will realize that the "love" you give her will be a great reward for her good behavior. She'll get it figured out. Had a friend have several Akita's . Loved them. Big dogs, very family "pack" oriented so ought to be a good protector also. Sorry you are still working so much, but make hay when the sun shines. It will probably slow down some in the winter. Sad to miss out on the sweet potato digging.... a football sized one is HUGE!!!! Understand the wanting to spend time with the family when you are off....just drop a line and let us know things are okay with everyone.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good job! Akitas are generally protective and with that, be aware that strangers are a concern for them. As to the pee response, my DD had a doberman once who did that from excitement....talk about a big puddle! :D =D

Like @farmerjan , I think you might get a little slack in the winter. AND you need to spend time with family -- tap out a note after the kids are in bed... we miss you all and worry when our family members "disappear". Love to just hear a quick update.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update on the dog. Killed one of my ducks. Suppose it was to be expected since she's young and had never been trained so can't be angry with her.

I was out feeding the animals sometime last week and she was out with me when she touched the hot wire. She started yelping and whining. I came and told her she was good girl etc. I guess she associated me with the pain because now she cowers wherever I'm near, doesn't come when I call her name and worst of all submissively peed wherever I walk near her. I won't ever take treats from me. She simply puts her head down and pees. I just don't know what to do know. I've never once even raised my voice with her, much less hit her. I'm at a loss. My only thought is to hope time makes her forget about it and I'll continue to clean up her pee when I walk by.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Put her on a leash and sit on the ground or floor. This puts you at her level instead of towering over her. You won't be so intimidating. Speak softly, high pitched baby talk, pull her to you with the leash. Just a little at a time, until she is right up to you. Pet her, scratch her, talking to her. Rub her ears. Release the leash, but don't let go. Repeat several times. You may need to do this for several days or even weeks. She has no confidence and is frightened of you. As she progresses, call her and gently tug the leash. It will take time to build her confidence.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update...

Peanut butter - the great remedy for anything that ails a dog's relationship.

Tom about an hour yesterday with her on a leash teaching the come command and rewarding with peanut butter.

Then took her into the pasture with me, ran seeing with her, have get peanut butter, praised her etc.

Took some more time and protected her from the ram... Don't ask.

Woke up this morning and we were best friends. We'll see what it's like after I get home from work.

Latest posts