1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Threads - What Do I need to know?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Mysterious Hamster Death

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Dawnclucks22, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Feb 2, 2018
    Dawnclucks22

Dawnclucks22 Chillin' with the herd

*Asking for a friend
    My friend had a Dwarf Winter White hamster awhile back. They went camping for a short while (and he was provided for, of course) but when they returned he was dead. It seemed that a lot of fur had been ripped out, although he lived in his own cage. He was under a year old. They think it may have been an allergic reaction due to a recent change in bedding to wood shavings. What do you guys think? Thanks for all your help!

2. Feb 2, 2018
    Dani4Hedgies

Dani4Hedgies Loving the herd life

Dawn,
    I would def say so hamsters don't have the ability to handle a change well and in fact it is strongly suggested that you NEVER keep hamsters on any kind of "wood based" bedding but use the Ultra "Paper" looking or even Yesterday's news as Hamsters are desert animals so their body is made to absorb moisture through their skin so when we place them on wood then they absorb the wood oils into their body and this will often result in an allergic reaction.

Dawnclucks22 and mysunwolf like this.