Mysteriously Bred Doe- Can this happen?

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My farmer friend, G, found a litter of kits in one of his doe cages. She had never been bred as far as he knows... so he accused me of coming over and putting his buck in with her! o_O They do share a wire wall... about 2" squares.
I have been avidly reading all kinds of threads here at BYH and I am sure I read somewhere about rabbits breeding through a shared cage wall. I thought it was @Pastor Dave's post but after asking him, well, it wasn't but he suggested that I make a thread. I kinda forgot about it until the subject came up again the other day. G's buck got out and was out for 2 days before being rounded up. I don't want to get blamed again if there are more kits in 4 weeks! :eek:
Can this happen? Does anyone know the post/thread I am remembering? :hu

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
yup, where there's a will there's a way. only had it happen once but it surely can happen. I've since put several inches of space and a hay feeder between my buck and his doe friends

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yup, where there's a will there's a way. only had it happen once but it surely can happen. I've since put several inches of space and a hay feeder between my buck and his doe friends
X2 -- it is amazing the ways they will find to mate.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Had kits born in a non-babysaver wire hutch. My 4 year old came running inside thinking she found newborn puppies under the cage (in the rain!). In our case, we had a buck that roamed freely as a pet, I was pretty sure that someone left the cage door of the doe cage open one day. He hopped in, took care of business and hopped out. There was no adjoining cage on this hutch. Scooped the kits into a nesting box and all was fine.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, they can do it. I've no idea how, but I have had it happen once, as well. If I must have animals of opposite genders living next to each other, I at least make sure they are the same breed.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yup, where there's a will there's a way
it is amazing the ways they will find to mate
Absolutely, they can do it.
I knew I didn't do it...:lol: Thank You so much!
In our case, we had a buck that roamed freely as a pet
Good to know! Puppies... how cute and how wonderful that you saved them!

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens this time. Just in case I will try to remind him around day 28 to put some nest boxes in. I am going to go over and practice my 'palpating non-skills'...:oops: at the appropriate time after the Great Escape!

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I knew I didn't do it...:lol: Thank You so much!

Good to know! Puppies... how cute and how wonderful that you saved them!

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens this time. Just in case I will try to remind him around day 28 to put some nest boxes in. I am going to go over and practice my 'palpating non-skills'...:oops: at the appropriate time after the Great Escape!

She was adorable. The buck was a non-accepted color by ARBA as a tort for Rex. So all the babies were just for pets or meat. The mom was a show rabbit. On occasion our dog had saved some babies too. I found her licking them and protecting them.

AngieNPeeps

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was supposed to be a midwife . I stopped at RN, but I've always worked on fulfilling my calling when I could :D. As a child I bred everything we had (much to my parents' dismay). I had all the does bred regularly and counted the days. But I didn't admit it and one doe put her kits in the food bin before I confessed and got the nest box. They were fine, thank goodness!

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had no idea they could breed in separate cages. Thanks that is good to know.

200_s.gif