Mystery Cut?

cinjoel

Just born
Reaction score
Hi - I have a 3yr old female, Jesse, who suddenly is acting strange (not leaving the barn and just standing, not lying down) still interested in food but not hay...so when I get a closer look I see she is trying to lick the front part of her belly/chest area. OMG she has a big cut but its not actively bleeding. So I don't know if this happened yesterday maybe when she jumped the fence (which my naughty goats do often) but when I tried to wipe it with soap and water on a washcloth she did moan like it hurt her. So I left it alone. I'll attach some pics. I am trying to show you using my fingers how long it is and how I believe the skin is supposed to be attached.

What do I do? Get her on the ground and clean it real good - put something over it, on it, let her take care of it herself? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Cindy

Attachments

• closer longer cut.jpg
    closer longer cut.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 179
  • better angle see it longer.jpg
    better angle see it longer.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 151
  • realized it was flap of skin.jpg
    realized it was flap of skin.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Thought this was foreign object.jpg
    Thought this was foreign object.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 186

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
First thing I would do is clean it out. I use hydrogen peroxide or iodine in a syringe and push it into the wound to clear out any yuck. Its hard to tell but it looks pretty deep to me. I would consider calling the vet to see if she needs stitches or not.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely call your vet. That’s in a difficult area to keep clean and a gaping wound is just asking for a bad infection in that locale.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IMHO that needs cleaning and stitching. You could do both by yourself if you have a helper, but a vet would be a good thing.