mysunwolf - four acres and some sheep

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the electric net from premier 1....that will be what we use for all of our grazing areas. We do plan on putting up a perimeter fence of wire at the new place...assuming we get it.

I've been following your journal, a really hope that you get it as well :fl Purchasing property is not something I enjoy. We have woven wire perimeter fence and it makes me feel so much more secure. Friends of ours have no fencing and just use the electric net, and have had quite a few scares!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Clearly not a mini breed!
They are definitely on the larger size of the sheep spectrum, Zwartbles rams can weigh up to 220lbs! I think this guy is on his way.

Ooooo!!....he really looks nice.....sure hope he breaks your streak and turns into a real Champ for ya....:)

Thank you @CntryBoy777!! Though technically a few rams ago, his "bad luck" was just that he was so flippin expensive :eek: He turned out to be an awesome guy, but I will never pay that much for a ram again (and no I will not say how much he was :hide).

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your 9 girls.....i thought you cut back to 4 girls.....sheep math :lol:

:lol: I didn't even realize that!! Well, here's some sheep math for you all... I did have only 4 girls! But then they had 7 lambs. 5 were ewe lambs, and I had sold their sire so I could retain them. So that makes 9 girls. Plus 2 wethered ram lambs is 11 sheep in my flock. And then I bought a ram, later got a replacement for him but the breeder didn't want the original back, and then bought a third one since I didn't like the looks of the replacement. So 11 sheep plus 3 rams makes 14 sheep. And I have one "freemartin" ewe, which makes 15 :D

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, you all are lucky in that you are the first ones to see any of the photos I take ;) Went out this morning and finally got a good photo of Zee, the new ram. Plus the other sheep. One of my wether lambs had bottle jaw yesterday :( even though I have been keeping up with eyelids every 2 weeks, I'll have to bring them up every week now that it's August. Either the cattle are not helping parasite levels at all, or the cattle are helping parasite levels quite a bit, and either way is a scary thought!

Here's Zee in all his magnificence. His conformation and temperament and coloring and hardiness are all exactly what we've been looking for, let's hope his milk production genes match up as well.
DSC_2506 copy.JPG

His current buddy, Molly the freemartin (this year I really plan to butcher her, really).
DSC_2510 copy.JPG

The rest of the flock under the pine tree, Ginger and Dora guarding the others.
DSC_2513 copy.JPG

Charcoal watching over the lambs like her mother used to do.
DSC_2525 copy.JPG

James and Peaches. If I can just get these two to survive to adulthood, they will be stellar milk sheep. And just look at that fantastic conformation.
DSC_2527 copy.JPG

Charcoal, demonstrating what I mean when I say "pear-shaped" bodies. Her and her mother have "pot-bellies" that always make them look pregnant! It's actually really helpful for cooking large, multiple lambs in there ;) Makes sure there is enough room for the babies and the organs. Plus her and her mother have huge hips, the lambs literally just fall out of their back ends (was like watching a wild animal give birth).
DSC_2530 copy.JPG

Half sisters Mocha and Charcoal. They're closely bonded and so are their mothers, Dora and Ginger.
DSC_2532 copy.JPG

Dora's twin ewe lambs from this year, Snow and Boots (Lil Dog).
DSC_2537 copy.JPG

And last but not least, my beef calves! Starfish (Star) and Shelley (Shell).
DSC_2538 copy.JPG

Here is the reason I'll be grass feeding and finishing my cattle (with some whole corn and barley thrown in there as well to round them out). That pasture on the right is almost 12 inches high all the way across that acre. We were well below rainfall for June and July. Since April it has been grazed by sheep, then cattle, then mowed. Then grazed by sheep, chickens, and cattle, then mowed. And here we are again. It's going for at least one more round... maybe it will even get a fourth round of grazing as stocked forage in December, if the weather predictions are correct.
DSC_2543 copy.JPG

Don't get too jealous now, all that rich, lush, thick forage is great and all, but it's also the reason we have unstoppable footrot and barber pole worms so... :idunno

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
They all look just wonderful and the new Ram seems to fit right in with the others....just Handsome. The cattle seem to be content and growing, too. If ya could get some lespedeza to grow there it would belp your sheep out with the parasites as it is a natural help with those parasites. It does sound as if the rotational grazing is working out for ya too. Hope the hoof problems get better soon, and some of the moisture will give ya a break.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The pastures do look great, and it's really super that they rebound fast enough that you have to mow between rotations... IMHO that's a fair indicator that you need more animals! :hide:plbb

Any chance you can leave one pasture fallow long enough to eliminate the worms? Then confine and deworm all the animals before putting them into that pasture. Then cycle through the rest/other pastures the same until the worms are gone?

ETA, your animals look great! Where's a pic of that gorgeous pyr that protects them?