mysunwolf - four acres and some sheep

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We already have about 40 community guineas, or we did going in to winter last year... I think they've gotten picked off and such. They reason they're community guineas: have you ever tried keeping guineas confined to just one property? :lol: So we all just "let" them roam the 35ish acres of our 3 adjoining properties.

The tick population here is seriously reduced. I used to get them on me almost every time I went out the door, and now it's maybe a few each year. The LGDs that patrol 2 out of the 3 properties help protect the guineas from predators--otherwise, they would get picked off fairly quickly :( A coop is helpful, if you can train them to go in it.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeding season is underway! On August 17th, Ziebolt went into the paddock system with every single female on the property. Since then, he's bred all the ewe lambs and younger ewes, but I haven't seen him mount the older ewes, nor have I seen raddle powder on their butts. We're going to switch out powder colors after about 21 days to see if he has to re-mount anyone, since he's only 4 1/2 months old!

Here is the breakdown (I'll fill in w/photos):
Ziebolt/Zee -- 2017 ram lamb

Ginger -- 5 yrs
Dora -- 3yrs
Charcoal -- 1.5yrs
Mocha -- 1.5yrs

James -- Ginger's 2017 lamb
Peaches -- Ginger's 2017 lamb
Snow -- Dora's 2017 lamb
Boots -- Dora's 2017 lamb
Squid -- Charcoal's 2017 lamb

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sheep speed dating???

:lol::lol::lol:

Truthfully, I think of it more like The Bachelor. But instead of choosing just one of the ladies, he gets all of them. Are those shows just a new, even more horrible form of speed dating?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boy things have been busy around here. I have a large amount of family in FL right now, my grandmother is in the hospital, inventory of pottery is literally almost zero, and winter is coming. My stress level is a little high right now. Then tonight I was told my new large-boned ram will create lambing complications in my fine-boned ewes, and somehow that was enough to push me over the edge into panic land :confused: :th

But at least my whole property still looks really pretty?

Piglets are SO CUTE. But boy can they root. They have already torn up their 32'x32' pen to dirt. They don't get rotated to a fresh paddock for a few weeks.
DSC_2675 copy.JPG DSC_2676 copy.JPG

My laying hens are so pretty! I cuddle with them all the time, like a new chicken mom. Who knew I could fall in love with chickens all over again?
DSC_2663 copy.JPG DSC_2682 copy.JPG DSC_2693 copy.JPG

My (weaned) bottle calf is a little rough, I'm going to do a fecal and probably worm her a few more times this fall. The older calf steals all the grain most evenings. I think we'll butcher the big one, Star, next fall, then hold onto the little one, Shell, for another 6 months to fatten her up. We'll see how they look after another full season of grazing.

DSC_2686.JPG DSC_2684.JPG