mysunwolf - four acres and some sheep

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats on the new lamb and glad you're feeling a bit better. Would have been much better had Mocha done what any sensible ewe would have done and had her lamb in the protective confines of the barn. Of course most ewes aren't that sensible which is why shepherds may place the about to lamb ewes in confinement, right? Anyway, success has been achieved and hopefully the new born will be able to nurse and relieve Mocha of her over-full udder and everyone will be happy in the end.

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With the goats we would always milk out some and freeze it for emergency use. Good to have if needed later on plus relieved the new mom a bit. I don't know if this is common with sheep though.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grats on the new lamb and glad you're feeling a bit better. Would have been much better had Mocha done what any sensible ewe would have done and had her lamb in the protective confines of the barn. Of course most ewes aren't that sensible which is why shepherds may place the about to lamb ewes in confinement, right? Anyway, success has been achieved and hopefully the new born will be able to nurse and relieve Mocha of her over-full udder and everyone will be happy in the end.

I had checked on her at 3:30p and she looked like she would go sometime in the middle of the night to me, so when I went back in the house I said, "We should move her into the barn near the house this evening before sunset." So at 5pm we went out to move her and there was a lamb on the ground! ;) Much to our surprise. I don't usually jug ewes before lambing (as it stresses them out to be away from their flock), but I do if the weather is bad like it was yesterday.

With the goats we would always milk out some and freeze it for emergency use. Good to have if needed later on plus relieved the new mom a bit. I don't know if this is common with sheep though.

We often do this as well, I have a nice stash of frozen colostrum from my girls. If I weren't having other issues and concerns with Mocha I would definitely do this to relieve an overly full udder. I'm in contact with my vet about my flock's hard, under-producing bags this year. There are so many things it could be, or I could be making it all up in my head. :eek:

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know this sounds absurdly simple, but I think the problem is that the feed this year has too much sodium in addition to protein and is causing udder edema right around parturition. And that I fed too much of it before they had lambs on the ground. Checked the udders today and they are looking really good (except Dora with her weird lumpy udder and teats of course--she has other issues entirely, but is still nursing fairly well).

Since it was a nice day, I rearranged the electric net and everyone had some field time. Though Mocha is still holed up with her new lamb in that blue shed you see in this pic.

DSC_2272 copy.JPG
DSC_2274 copy.JPG

I have a photo of her father in the exact same pose.
DSC_2276 copy.JPG

Lamb party!!
DSC_2283 copy.JPG

Puff, trying to convince me of how trustworthy he is.
DSC_2287 copy.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could sneak one of yours up and put her with Rosie

Latest posts