Naked sheep pictures

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got my sheep sheared today! I thought I'd share some pictures.

Here are fluffy sheep this morning:

8771_fluffysheep.jpg

Here is Rose being sheared:

8771_shearingrose.jpg

And as promised, here are some naked sheep :D

8771_nakedsheep.jpg

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was funny, after being sheared they didn't recognise one another. The two ewes didn't want to let their lambs nurse anymore (yes, at about five months old they are still nursing a little). Rose and Gracie (the ewes) head butted each other. And Gracie kept butting her daughter away from her.

Even the ponies came and stared at the naked sheep! LOL

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir - five bags full!

8771_5bagswool.jpg

One grey, one brown (moorit), and three white or mostly white. I will be working with some of it myself, and sending some to a mill to be made into roving for myself and some others.

The shearer said it was really nice wool, and my sheep were in good shape. I was glad for that, I only got the sheep in the spring, and I've made some mistakes, but I've tried to learn and do my best. There aren't many sheep people around, although the shearer said he does a few other small flocks in and around my area.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have some beautiful sheep-with or without their clothes! :lol:

Godsgrl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Your sheep are beautiful, but i have a question. It gets cold in Ohio, why are you shearing now? Won't your sheep freeze? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I honestly don't know. :hide Thanks!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Godsgrl said:
Your sheep are beautiful, but i have a question. It gets cold in Ohio, why are you shearing now? Won't your sheep freeze?
Thanks Godsgrl - and that's a good question! My sheep are Icelandics, and their wool grows over an inch a month. They'll grow plenty in time for our winter. This was 5 to 6 months growth of wool - they naturally shed in the spring. You can shear them at that time, or 'roo' their wool (pull it off by hand, sometimes all at once, although mine didn't come off as easily as some videos of Shetlands that I've seen), or just let it shed and don't do anything with it.

If I waited and sheared them in the spring, their wool would be over a foot long, and that's harder to handle to card and spin (although some people might like wool that long). And some mills I talked to won't take wool over 6 or 7 inches, their machinery can't handle it.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Your sheep look great! Your shearer did a really good job.

I just finished shearing my angora goats and I live in the same area (but further north I think?). They'll have plenty of wool in time for the first frosts and then they'll be ready to shear again in March before we start having babies in April so I don't get weak spots in the wool from the stress of giving birth and nursing.