1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Name that predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by manybirds, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mar 2, 2016
    manybirds

manybirds Loving the herd life

we have a predator that likes to drag its victims head through the bars, eat the head off and then leave. We heard a commotion out by the goose pen and went out to find our female sebastopal with her head pulled through and the skin ripped off the back of her head, so it must of grabbed her at the base of the skull to kill her and drug. The female was in with an extremely, with and emphasis on extremely, defensive male Canada goose who made a lot of noise so it was big enough to take his mate without being scared off by him. Also they were locked up In a dog house that had a door propped up by a board blocking them in. So either it knocked it down or the male goose saw the predator and got so upset he knocked it down. Also the goose pen is under a light pole so it must of been fairly bold, and it was out there right after me and the dogs came in from chores so I'm sure it heard and smelled me out there a bit earlier. Some neighbors did say they saw a bob cat in the area but would on be bold enough to do all that? Behind us is some dnr land that's got rivers ponds fields forests shrubbery and forage to make prime environment for all predators so it could be anything

2. Mar 2, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Normally, when I hear about heads being pulled through wire (fencing/enclosures), I immediately think coon. Normally on my poultry enclosures I use 1/2" hardware cloth up 3' from ground level and anywhere that a coon could reach through and grab a roosting/resting bird. Sorry for your loss. Hope you can find the culprit and eliminate it. It had some success so will most likely return.

3. Mar 3, 2016
    Pamela

Pamela Loving the herd life

We've caught a skunk doing exactly what you've described, but they were 3 week old chicks

4. Mar 6, 2016
    manybirds

manybirds Loving the herd life

I put my game camera out to see if it would come back and it's a huge bobcat

5. Mar 7, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

I'd click "Like", but I don't really like large bobcats wandering around my chicken area and doubt you do either.

dejavoodoo114 likes this.
  6. Mar 7, 2016
    goats&moregoats

goats&moregoats Loving the herd life

Time for a shotgun!

7. Mar 7, 2016
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Hot wire.

8. Mar 8, 2016
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

over the years I have found that a big barky dog keeps the bobcats and other critters away. we have a lot of foxes, coyotes and bobcats around here. I also live close to a national forest and have seen all kinds of predators around but having a lgd has kept us safe. hope you get the problem taken care of.

9. Mar 28, 2016
    TAH

TAH True BYH Addict

I think a guard dog would be an of. Our dog Boaz grab a coyote by it's back leg and tried to bring it to me:). I was so pleased with him that day. The coyote was out by the chicken coop but got chased up by the road. He is a Pit bull Blue Heeler Lab mix. He also does minimum herding.

Baymule likes this.