Name that predator

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
we have a predator that likes to drag its victims head through the bars, eat the head off and then leave. We heard a commotion out by the goose pen and went out to find our female sebastopal with her head pulled through and the skin ripped off the back of her head, so it must of grabbed her at the base of the skull to kill her and drug. The female was in with an extremely, with and emphasis on extremely, defensive male Canada goose who made a lot of noise so it was big enough to take his mate without being scared off by him. Also they were locked up In a dog house that had a door propped up by a board blocking them in. So either it knocked it down or the male goose saw the predator and got so upset he knocked it down. Also the goose pen is under a light pole so it must of been fairly bold, and it was out there right after me and the dogs came in from chores so I'm sure it heard and smelled me out there a bit earlier. Some neighbors did say they saw a bob cat in the area but would on be bold enough to do all that? Behind us is some dnr land that's got rivers ponds fields forests shrubbery and forage to make prime environment for all predators so it could be anything

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Normally, when I hear about heads being pulled through wire (fencing/enclosures), I immediately think coon. Normally on my poultry enclosures I use 1/2" hardware cloth up 3' from ground level and anywhere that a coon could reach through and grab a roosting/resting bird. Sorry for your loss. Hope you can find the culprit and eliminate it. It had some success so will most likely return.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've caught a skunk doing exactly what you've described, but they were 3 week old chicks

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put my game camera out to see if it would come back and it's a huge bobcat

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'd click "Like", but I don't really like large bobcats wandering around my chicken area and doubt you do either.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
over the years I have found that a big barky dog keeps the bobcats and other critters away. we have a lot of foxes, coyotes and bobcats around here. I also live close to a national forest and have seen all kinds of predators around but having a lgd has kept us safe. hope you get the problem taken care of.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think a guard dog would be an of. Our dog Boaz grab a coyote by it's back leg and tried to bring it to me:). I was so pleased with him that day. The coyote was out by the chicken coop but got chased up by the road. He is a Pit bull Blue Heeler Lab mix. He also does minimum herding.

Latest posts