Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...the kids are completely against being given a few names to choose from that have been approved by me. :th:hide

My kids will only be little once, I can do whatever I want when they are older. I'll just have to develop a good record system!

I think they are agreeable to having a yearly theme so at least I'll have that. Our theme this year is Princes/Princesses as in Disney. :idunno At least my 6,3,2 year olds will be happy. I may need a few suggestions past Belle and Ariel. Lol

unity

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I have been giving this some thought. The ADGA letter for this year (2018) is K. If I give each of my breeding does a theme, such as flowers, gems, and Irish names (just off the top of my head) and that name starts with K, such as Kennedia, Kunzite, and Kaitlin. Now I will know who the little ones belong to and what year they were born. I guess when those daughters start breeding, they get their own theme.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I have been giving this some thought. The ADGA letter for this year (2018) is K. If I give each of my breeding does a theme, such as flowers, gems, and Irish names (just off the top of my head) and that name starts with K, such as Kennedia, Kunzite, and Kaitlin. Now I will know who the little ones belong to and what year they were born. I guess when those daughters start breeding, they get their own theme.

Go back a few posts to see my thoughts on following the letter. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, it just spells out some of my thoughts.

unity

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I looked on http://www.minerals.net/GemStoneVarieties.aspx and these are names of gems, so I came up with this: Diamond has two girls, two boys this year: Kimberly Emerald (Kim), Korean Jade (Kora), Kashmir diamond (Kash), and Kingman Turquoise (King). Kim and Kora get new themes next year (L), so Disney characters for Kim (Lady, Lampwick, Laverne, Lefty), and Irish Names for Kora (Liam, Lochlan, Lada, Lainie). Diamond would still be gems, but L like Lapis, Lemon Opal, Leopard Jasper....

unity

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So if you want to refer the grandkids back to Diamond, I guess that would be Lady Diamond and Lainie Garnet?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked on http://www.minerals.net/GemStoneVarieties.aspx and these are names of gems, so I came up with this: Diamond has two girls, two boys this year: Kimberly Emerald (Kim), Korean Jade (Kora), Kashmir diamond (Kash), and Kingman Turquoise (King). Kim and Kora get new themes next year (L), so Disney characters for Kim (Lady, Lampwick, Laverne, Lefty), and Irish Names for Kora (Liam, Lochlan, Lada, Lainie). Diamond would still be gems, but L like Lapis, Lemon Opal, Leopard Jasper....

I totally explored this thought process and even that site. I'd totally follow the lines of that train of thought but my kids aren't agreeable. Until they are too old to let me name the goats in my own manner, I'll keep them appeased. DD1 is pulling for Ariel. :lol:

unity

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ariel and Jackson sound very nice. I guess you could add the mother's name or a combo like they do the celebrities to keep track.:frow

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 40 does so no way am I doing a theme for each doe, there aren't that many themes. I will use the letter K and go and look at baby names that start with K and pick from that. The problem for me is that I don't remember what I named them. Since all of my kids are being raised off site this year I have to find an easy way to identify who they belong to for registration.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I guess a hoof print on a certificate of live birth won't cut it huh? :hide Perhaps pictures after dry, either side, with associated parentage and birth details on a card/page for later review?

Latest posts