National Dairy Goat Awareness Week!

BlessedBGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all and happy National Dairy Goat Awareness Week!

A Brief History The first Dairy Goat Awareness Day was observed in 1986. On June 12, 1986, the American Dairy Goat Association presented six dairy goat kids to the US Department of Agriculture. At that time, an ADGA Life Membership Certificate was also given to President Ronald Reagan along with a painting of dairy goats.

"Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim the period beginning the second Saturday and ending the third Saturday of June 1987 as National Dairy Goat Awareness Week. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.”

So, let's all celebrate!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
This past Saturday while I was in Raeford showing goats Maurine was back at home managing the Zebulon Farmers Market. They observed National Dairy Goat Awareness week.
We carried our "Goat Gofer" and our doe Tiramasu and her 2 babies.
The North Carolina Dairy Goat Breeders Association had an informational booth.
And we got some cheese from our friends out west Spinning Spider Creamery to sell. ( The cheese sold very well)

BlessedBGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I guess we are celebrating, unknowingly, by building them a new pen today, lol.

I celebrated by milking my Mini Nubian, Pearl. She only has one milkable teat. (Her kid only nursed on one side, that's what the breeder told me). She's a first time freshener, so I hope she evens out next time.

I also have been trying to milk my Nigerian Dwarf, but her 4 month old kid is still nursing and I have not figured out a way to separate them at night.....I only have three goats, so that leaves one all alone if I separate her from mommy.

I also will celebrate tonight by doing a low heat pasteurization on about 3/4 gallon of fresh goat milk! Yay!

I love my dairy goats!

Picture is of my Mini Nubian lounging in the partially built hay feeder! She's so crazy!

Attachments

• 20170602_110453.jpg
    20170602_110453.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 180

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello all and happy National Dairy Goat Awareness Week!

A Brief History The first Dairy Goat Awareness Day was observed in 1986. On June 12, 1986, the American Dairy Goat Association presented six dairy goat kids to the US Department of Agriculture. At that time, an ADGA Life Membership Certificate was also given to President Ronald Reagan along with a painting of dairy goats.

"Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim the period beginning the second Saturday and ending the third Saturday of June 1987 as National Dairy Goat Awareness Week. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.”

So, let's all celebrate!
:thumbsup

He raised Nubian goats at one point.

Latest posts