National Western Stock Show

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although I won't be there for a bit the actual show has started. Last night the first sunset of the show was beautifuland so was tonight. That is a hopeful example of the days to come. Message me if you are going, I will have some of my chickens there. Although, the odd thing for me is coming three days before for the Grand Prix, it gives me an idea of the show grounds and how the show works this year.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I show in a short 6 days. Putting the final details in place and preparing the birds. One of the things I do not know is how many birds are going, five or six, fit to get that figured out soon. We also have baths in Monday and good packing Thursday, and I can say that my predictions have said my chickens with east much more then they actually need.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm a bit confused tomorrow. My dad said if I do all my homework that I can go tomorrow night but now he wants to take my brothers and I there tomorrow during the day.
Anyways, tomorrow morning is bath morning.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bathed yesterday took a while but going to be well worth it. Now I have to figure where the girls should be for the next couple days until show. They are in the garage in a dog kennel currently. After dinner I will take them outside for a minute in the harness to walk around.
As Luke knows, I was trying to eat less sugar this week in order to be okay with all my junk food over the weekend and I also was going to sleep less in order to spend more time with the birds preparing. Well I've had a sore throat since yesterday morning that is getting better but I realized that I would be killing myself so I'm going to eat sugar but still go on less sleep due to my priorities.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Started packing for show. Going to pack food tonight.
I still be leaving tomorrow morning around 8:30 not that the fact matters to you guys. The only reason it would matter is that I won't really be on BYH over the weekend.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks. I will. I appreciate it when others use my nickname of Poke, I just can't bring myself to enjoy getting called the real name of a dead chicken.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
The birds are settled in. Everyone seems well.
Judging starts at 9 AM tomorrow so it is going to be an early morning. Just quick note for those that are getting into it, when they give you the Showmanship time it just means later then, for example, showmanship starts at 10 tomorrow morning I could go at 10:30 or 12:30 I really don't know.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I promised @LukeMeister and @BunnyGirl I would post the results some time in the future so I will now.
This show was one that I knew I couldn't will or even really contend for champion but I knew I could use it to let my birds experience show. I only had a partly trained showmanship bird so, despite the fact we trained really hard in the final days I would only experience showmanship with her. Many know about the fact I've won it before but might have missed the fact I lost my showmanship bird this fall. I was proud of 7th and will be back at another show in April to try again.
My best bird stayed home because she was too sick so I was left with my red ribbon and un-experienced birds. During vet checks I had some comments on my Partraige Rock Bantams and thought I might have a shot after all. During Showmanship my single comb Brown leghorn got judged, she really had no competition so got first for her variety. Then at about 2 the judge resumed after taking a long break. My better experienced Partraige Rock beat her sister and got reserve for breed. My D'Anver didn't have a good comb. And my D'Uccles got second and forth.
I'm exhausted but had a blast.