Natural burrow nests for rabbits?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So... some of the accounts I've read from some of you and others and in literature indicate how sometimes the mother will accidentally step or smother her own kits by accident.

I wondered if this could be partly because in nature do the kits actually sleep in a slightly deeper depression than where the bulk of the mother's weight is resting? What do you think about this?

So to illustrate this more clearly...

We build flat and boxy. That's how wood and lumber is cut. And its hard and time consuming for us to build round.

But burrows and underground (whatever terms you want to use) are round. So if its round then is the bulk of the mother's weight actually above the kits, not even with them, and is this why sometimes they get smothered?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think they are so much smothered as broken by being stepped on. Newborns are really delicate. A rounded bottom to the nesting area does keep them all in the center in a pile and then the mum bun can step around the edges without squishing anyone.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oops.

Sorry I asked this and didn't see in time that someone had just answered it at the same time I posted this. (From another thread.)

Sorry.

You may disregard this.