Natural dewormer for milking goats

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two Nubian does I got just over a week ago. They have had diarhea and I figured just the stress of moving. I gave probiotics and it helped one, but then it came back. I brought a sample to my small animal vet and he saw large amounts of strongyles he said. They hardly have an appetite too. I need to act fast but don't want to use chemicals and have to toss the milk. What can I use? I was told garlic juice.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Honestly if they are that infested with worms I'd use a chemical dewormer, then in the future implement husbandry changes and do research on what natural things you can use to help keep them from having high worm loads in the future. Heavy worm loads kill- and if you have a dead goat you won't have any milk! Even though garlic is natural (and I don't know of any studies showing it's effectiveness as a wormer) it will change the flavor of the mil k and you probably won't want to drink anyway.

Your best bet would be to talk to a goat knowledgeable vet about what wormers are working in your area. Some have shorter withdrawls- and Safeguard/Panacu might not have one at all, but I'd have to look it up. I save withdrawl milk for baby goats or soap makers so it's not wasted.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
There are plenty of dewormers out there that you wont have to toss the milk. Anything natural won't get rid of them if they are in this bad of shape sadly. It would take far too long for it to work and you may lose them before then. :( I am all for natural alternatives but when it is as severe as this I wouldn't chance their lives just for the milk.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been told safeguard doesn't work well, and calbazen says not to give to lactating does bc they have no idea of withdrawal time. And I can't find any other kind of dewormer. What should I use?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its a toss up at this point. Throw the milk out for a week OR try to use something 'natural' and go out and find your investments dead.

Personally, I would rather toss the milk JMHO.

Not trying to sould like a jerk, but I have seen so many people make a goat suffer all because the owner has an emotional attachment of being organic. It's unbelievably sad :(

Based on the symptoms you said they were having, it doesn't sound like they have much time to try different approaches.

Welcome to the world of goats! after you get these girls back to to being healthy be sure to post pics ofthe lil darlings!

Have to say I'm impressed that you got the fecals to the vet right away! You very well may have saved them from a nasty death :thumbsup

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
When my littlest had a heavy parasite load she was given an injectable Ivermectin but I do not remember the name. But that with a shot of Vit b did her all the wonder in the world. I wouldn't be concerned with the withdrawl time because if they aren't cleared up quickly they very well could die. Diarrhea can kill very quickly.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh yes I'm definitely not against a chemical if that's my only option, I just wanted to ask here before I jumped to use one. I think I'll go valbazen. Just one week will be enough time to not drink the milk? Thanks for speedy responses!!!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most de-wormers have different withdrawl times. You will need to look at the recommend withdrawl for that wormer.

We have used the safeguard with fantastic results as long as you give the right dosage.

We do 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight for 3-5 days in a row and toss the milk for 4 days after the last dose. The 2.3 cc per 100 lbs is the dosage on the bottle, that is why many say it is ineffective. This was recommended by 3 of our vets :)

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All I have found at feed stores is the pelleted safe guard. And valbazen doesn't say a withdrawal time

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats never eat the pelleted stuff so I don't bother with that. You should be able to find the liquid Safeguard at Tractor Supply if you have one nearby.

The withdrawal time for Ivermectin given orally is 9 days. Not really that long.

Latest posts