1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Peachicks - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Oils as/for Pest Control

Discussion in 'Bee Pests, Diseases, Predators, Robbing' started by Latestarter, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Mar 15, 2015
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

I've read that the varroa do NOT like coriander. Since corriander is actually the seeds of cilantro I wonder if you could use coriander seeds or oil (does it exist?) inside the hive to help drive them (varroa) away? Maybe spray some coriander oil on the inside of the boxes or along the edges of the frames? Has anyone tried this? I can't find anything to tell if it would affect the bees or the flavor of the honey... Maybe plant cilantro around the hives?

Has anyone found any other essential oils that help with pest control? What are you using, how often and is it working?

Southern by choice likes this.
  2. Mar 15, 2015
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

3. Mar 16, 2015
    Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Loving the herd life

I use cinnamon to keep ants out of the hive. I sprinkle it around the base of the hive on the ground.

4. Mar 18, 2015
    Bibby

Bibby Just born

A lot of people here in New Zealand use Thyme hay in their smokers. There are of course also plenty of commercial Thyme based varroa treatments like Thymovar around too.

I'm a bit of a newby when it comes to bees though - so don't have much direct experience with these things myself.