Natural pain and inflamtion relief in Sheep?

raggedy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have an 8 week old lamb that has been on Banamine for the maximum amount of time for the relief of pain and inflammation in her front knee. Is there another alternative? I know people can use ginger and probably a multitude of other natural sources for pain relief. I'm hoping there is something I can use for her that is natural or even another med that I can replace the Banamine with.

raggedy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is a bottle baby lamb. When I took her to the vet at 2 weeks of age the Dr suspected Navel Ill. No testing was done though. She seems healthy other than having a swollen Knee and somewhat swollen hoof on the same front leg. Some days the leg is better than other days. Less swollen and sore so she uses it more. I did notice yesterday that her hoof is overgrown, especially on the inside edge and needs to be trimmed since she hasn't used it as much as would be normal. My hubby keeps wanting to inject the knee with antibiotics. I have no idea if this will help the infection in her knee or not and I don't want to make matters worse. I'm hoping for some sort of natural help.

She initially had a 5 day regimen of antibiotic injections and has been on the Banamine for 4 weeks. In addition to that I have been soaking her leg in mineral salts each evening for 20 minutes. I stopped about 5 days ago. It just didn't seem to be making a difference and it was uncomfortable for both of us now that the weather has gotten so warm.