[NC] Sweet little doeling needs a heated home, fast!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello members of BYH!

I have a sweet little doeling that's struggling in this cold weather. She is some sort of a nubian cross that was given to me by my grandfather, along with several other goats, shortly before he passed away. Bitsy is the sweetest little girl ever, who loves cuddles, attention, snacks, and giving kisses, but we don't currently have the means to care for her. She was born in a set of twins, and while her twin was born healthy and normal size, Bitsy was born very, very small, only slightly bigger than my hand! This hasn't stopped her from becoming the most wonderful and loving little goat, however, as she still runs and plays with the rest of herd!

The problem is this cold weather. A week and a half ago, Bitsy became almost comatose and was unable to stand or move, so we rushed her to the vet. The vet wasn't sure what was wrong, but dewormed her and marked the cause as anemia. He told us to keep her warm and dry and that she would be fine. We brought her home and put her in our insulated shed with lots of hay to lay in, hay to eat, pellet food (as directed by the vet), warm water, and even a friend her age to keep her warm. For a week she did great and seemed to recover, until she randomly took a turn for the worst in less than an hour and had to be rushed back to the vet, once again almost dead. They kept her for three days before determining that it's the cold causing this to happen. We are currently not only renting, but living with our landlord, who is very vocal about us not being allowed to bring Bitsy into our kitchen, as well as not being allowed to put out a heating lamp or heater for our animals. We don't have any options available to keep our little girl warm, as she is just not strong enough to endure the cold on her own. As I type this, she is in my car with the heat running, wearing a sweater and laying on a blanket...a spoiled little girl :)

We are looking for someone that would be willing to "rescue" Bitsy and take her to a home with a nice heated barn or otherwise heated place they could keep her until things warm up again and she can go outside. We are not asking a rehoming fee, we would just like to see pictures of the heated place she will be kept so that we know she'll be in good hands. We're from Rowland, North Carolina, and are willing to drive up to two hours to either meet you somewhere or deliver her straight to your farm! I will post pictures of her in the comments :)

NOTE: She has been to the vet three times recently and has a clean bill of health, but is too small to be able to keep herself warm. No worms or other diseases are present!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
tumblr_p259vnw0Ky1s5ceumo1_250.png

tumblr_p259vnw0Ky1s5ceumo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p259vnw0Ky1s5ceumo3_1280.png

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Compared to her sister the day they were born!

tumblr_p259vnw0Ky1s5ceumo8_1280.png

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you considered buying her an animal type coat? They make them that are for extremes. I would suggest that and heavy bedding. While I appreciate your attempts to "do what may be best for Bitsy" I'm just wondering if a coat and controlled housing wouldn't be what she needs.....and enable you to keep her. It is obvious you love her.

She appears to be at least partly Saanen.

You are almost in SC....LOL.

Last edited:

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Mini Horses thank you! :) I have very heavy bedding and hay bale lined walls 4ft high in the small barn I was keeping her in, as well as having a sleeved dog shirt on her. Where we're at in life, getting ready to move to a new farm and not having much control over our current situation (nitpicky landlord) I feel that while my other animals are healthy and cared for, I can't give Bitsy what she needs and it breaks my heart. I have found someone local that's willing to take her in, seeing how that goes :) Thank you for your support! Taking her to a new home will be very difficult, but not as difficult as coming out one morning and finding out she didn't make it through the night.

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I also agree that she has some saanen in her, I think her father was a saanen/nubian? The man had owned goats for two decades and just allowed them to cross breed and didn't really care, so all of our goats are "mutts" :eek:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its going to start to warm up tomorrow and it looks like we will have above average temperatures for the next several weeks

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
so all of our goats are "mutts" :eek:

Mutts still love you back!! I have crossbreeds & full bloods. Beyond those bloodlines, they are all "equal" in need and love.
At least the person is close so you can monitor her. Kudos!!

My SaanenXNubians are some of my best does. I will be buying a Saanen buckling this year. Have Nubian buck, he's a sweetie!

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh no no no that came out totally wrong! I lOOOoooOOovee that we have mutts! They're so special! Even though they all came from the same herd, we somehow ended up with some special looking goats--long hair, short hair, big quiffs of curly hair on their heads, no horns, horns, beards...I love them so much :love