ND FF Mystery

Ribby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello back yard herd fam!
I have a Nigerian Dwarf doe 1 1/2 years old and 65 lbs. She was bred to a buck on April 4th and was due today (145 days) September 22nd. She is obnoxiously loud when she is in heat and after she was "bred" to the buck she stopped going into heat. She gained 4 inches around her stomach/rumen and her temperament changed and she's been super sweet and clingy. However she has not developed an udder and has very firm ligaments. My goat mentor thinks that she likely is not pregnant. So I will still continue to wait and see if that changes in the next few days. However if she is not bred I'm scratching my head why her heats would change or stop?

Any insights from your experience/knowledge?

We live in San Diego with access to forage and plenty of great alfalfa. She also get plenty of minerals and is well conditioned.

Ribby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_6632.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. you have a beautiful doe there! Thanks for the pics. I'm not a Nigie person, perhaps @animalmom or @Goat Whisperer or one of the many others with Nigie experience will lend a comment. Meranwhile, there's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even though Nigerians are technically considered to be year round breeders, many don't have strong heats in the summer.
I have several dry does that didn't come into heat this summer

Ribby

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Even though Nigerians are technically considered to be year round breeders, many don't have strong heats in the summer.
I have several dry does that didn't come into heat this summer
Oh thank you! So helpful. I have yet to hear that they have less noticeable heats in the summer but that would make sense. Thanks for the insight

Latest posts