ND Losing Fur- Any Vet Recommendations for N. TX?

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my ND does (1 year & two months old), has some fur loss on her face (around her muzzle & ears) and it has not healed in the past month. I'm not sure what I can do to fix that.

She is bred too. I will admit that I have not been diligent about keeping her loose minerals out (I give my goats kelp). I will post photos later.

For those folks who live in the North Texas area (near south Dallas), who do y'all recommend for a vet?

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also, posting this so I can give updates and hear your thoughts on the diagnosis and treatment once I can find a vet. I didn't like the vet (it was a multi-vet clinic & very inconsistent) I had used six years ago and am thankful I have not needed one since.

ETA: I would like to find a vet though just in case I will need one!!

Last edited:

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here are those photos! So far, no finds yet. The one I did find had one review from an owner who brought her goat in and it was a bad review. She said the kid was overdosed on meds and died the next day. I don’t know how sick the goat kid was or the conditions but I’m a little concerned about taking my girl there. So! The search continues.
2A6AEABB-7217-4639-BB9E-85B3F7A0CD34.jpeg 83B79F70-1539-44C0-83DB-E05F74AFF334.jpeg A56CE82B-9B41-4100-89A0-B3EDECA0DC5F.jpeg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like Psoroptes cuniculi IMO (this is a common rabbit issue)
I just copy pasted from my website-
Psoroptic Ear Mite

(Psoroptes cuniculi)

The psoroptes ear mite, also known as the ear mange mite, usually* lives its entire life on or in the ear. It is a non-burrowing mite. The mite pierces the outer skin layer causing lesions. These lesions cause a "crust" formation and may cause a foul odor discharge in the external ear canal. The psoroptes ear mite will also cause scratching , rubbing of ears, head shaking, loss of equilibrium, and spasmodic contraction of the neck muscles. These mites are transferred goat to goat and most commonly are spread to kids from their moms. Evidence can be seen by 6 weeks of age in kids.

Secondary infections are not uncommon, usually bacterial. Severe infestations may cause weight loss and anemia. Usually* - There are cases of the mites moving over the head and neck areas especially in the Angora goats.

It is interesting because it does not spread throughout the herd as you would think- but can and will to their kids because of the location.
We had a Kiko come in with this- she had a secondary infection as well.

You can use Permethrins 10% concentrate- mix up and in her case I would use cotton balls etc to really dab the ears and face. This is safe on goats NOT rabbits.

Supportive care should be considered. Red Cell gives all the vitamins and iron as well. Deficiency often causes goats to be more susceptible to mite infections.

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Psoroptes cuniculi IMO (this is a common rabbit issue)
I just copy pasted from my website-
Psoroptic Ear Mite

(Psoroptes cuniculi)

The psoroptes ear mite, also known as the ear mange mite, usually* lives its entire life on or in the ear. It is a non-burrowing mite. The mite pierces the outer skin layer causing lesions. These lesions cause a "crust" formation and may cause a foul odor discharge in the external ear canal. The psoroptes ear mite will also cause scratching , rubbing of ears, head shaking, loss of equilibrium, and spasmodic contraction of the neck muscles. These mites are transferred goat to goat and most commonly are spread to kids from their moms. Evidence can be seen by 6 weeks of age in kids.

Secondary infections are not uncommon, usually bacterial. Severe infestations may cause weight loss and anemia. Usually* - There are cases of the mites moving over the head and neck areas especially in the Angora goats.

It is interesting because it does not spread throughout the herd as you would think- but can and will to their kids because of the location.
We had a Kiko come in with this- she had a secondary infection as well.

You can use Permethrins 10% concentrate- mix up and in her case I would use cotton balls etc to really dab the ears and face. This is safe on goats NOT rabbits.

Supportive care should be considered. Red Cell gives all the vitamins and iron as well. Deficiency often causes goats to be more susceptible to mite infections.

Ahh, wow. This makes me feel a little better- really was afraid my entire herd would get it. I feel so bad! : ( Poor girl.

Is this the permethrin I should get? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz?cm_vc=-10005

I will pick up some red cell as well.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahh, wow. This makes me feel a little better- really was afraid my entire herd would get it. I feel so bad! : ( Poor girl.

Is this the permethrin I should get? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ivestock-and-premise-spray-32-oz?cm_vc=-10005

I will pick up some red cell as well.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

Yes, this is what we use-keep in mind it is a concentrate so it must be mixed with water! You could mix it up in a spray bottle too.
Diatomaceous Earth can be really good for bedding and body too. :)

What mineral are you using? Feed etc?

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, this is what we use-keep in mind it is a concentrate so it must be mixed with water! You could mix it up in a spray bottle too.
Diatomaceous Earth can be really good for bedding and body too. :)

What mineral are you using? Feed etc?

Okay, thank you! I give kelp but like I said, I’ve been awful about keeping it freechoice the past few months. I will be doing better to keep it out. I feed a 14% feed with whole oats and freechoice coastal hay along with alfalfa hay and calf manna for my lactating does.