Neck reining vs. direct reining

sterlng&sierra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Countrymom said:
A very well trained horse that rides in a very loose rein and neck reins can be easily stopped or turned. The problem most people have is that lack of proper training and pusing a horse to neck rein without all the basic body control steps.
I agree with you completely, but what I meant was that if something happened and the horse bolted, you would waste time scrambling for the reins, or even dropping them altogether. I agree with you, though. Way too many horses are pushed into neck reining without knowing the fundamentals.

Countrymom said:
Just wanted to add that your control of a horse should come from your body and legs moreso than from you hands and the bit. I see way too many people that hang on the bit - English and Western. It doesn't matter the dicipline or the reining preference, it matters the level of training of the horse and your ability to ride a horse with your body that gets the control and bend you need.
Yes! I agree 100%. I see kids and adults, and "trainers", in the show ring with absolutely no idea how to bend a horse. They know how to headset, stop, and turn. It's downright depressing sometimes, especially when you're in the ring with them and their horse runs into yours at the canter... :hu Also, I really prefer being able to have some contact in case something happens, as Murphy's Law predicts, and things go south fast. I always let my horses stretch out, but I don't give them the entire rein in unpredictable places, such as on the trail or at a busy show. Turkeys suck when they flush between your horse's legs, and there may be an umbrella opened on the rail of the warmup arena. ;)

danielle82

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chickerdoodle13 said:
This is another curiosity question but something that I thought of today.

We recently acquired a new horse and my dad has been riding her for the past couple of weeks. Today was the first time I had a chance to get on her back. Anyways, before that, my dad had told me the horse didn't turn well and wouldn't stop. When I got on her back today, I realized she turned perfectly fine if you direct reined her. She also stopped fine when you had two hands on the reins.

This was definitely a western trained horse, but she wasn't trained for any specific western discipline. She was used previously as a trail horse and that's probably what we will use her for as well. I'm also thinking of dabbling in a few small fun shows, but that will come in time.

Anyways, my question is, what do you prefer? I've always liked the direct reining. I feel like I have more control over the horse and its generally just more natural for me. My dad likes a horse that will neck rein. Obviously certain disciplines require a specific way of using the reins. If I wanted a western pleasure horse, I'd have to train it to neck rein. However, what do you prefer for your general trail/pleasure/"fun" type horse? My dad said that if I like the direct reining, we will just keep her like that. I think I'd like my horse to have some sense of neck reining, but if I'm not going to show her professionally, I don't see too much reason to change her. (I used to participate in barrels, so I almost alway direct reined for the speed classes. That's probably why I like it better)

So...what is your personal preference and why?
How much training has this had? Have you tried her in a snaffle? It is common for horses to start in a snaffle and with direct reining before they progress to neck reining. Is it possible this horse hasn't been properly trained in neck reining, just direct reining, and that is why she is better at it?

Chickerdoodle13

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that this mare has not been finished. She's perfectly safe to ride and has never done anything crazy, she just needs some work refining her skills. I was working with her before she developed what I think was a heel abscess, but since has healed. I hope to work with her some more before I go to school.

We currently ride her in a snaffle bit. I "think" is a D ring snaffle, but I always get them confused. I do know it is a snaffle that uses a light chin strap under neath, if that makes any difference. I know on our other snaffle bit, we do not use the chin strap. I think that one is an O ring.

Soon I will be looking up ways to start training her to neck rein. Its not something I need her to do, but its something I would like to teach her so that I can ride one handed when needed.

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Totally agree with the comments regarding "dead hands" and riding without leg or weight. You wonder if these folks drive their cars like this, perhaps burning our their clutches 'cause they're riding the brakes the whole time! :lol:

If you train your mare right, using ALL aids, you will find that you start neck-reining, either deliberately or accidently. Watch Olympic tapes when the INTL. Dressage riders exit the ring. They hold the reins at the buckle and I watch hard, but rarely see any of them steering with their legs and weight ONLY. So, they do some neck-reining, too. It is a very useful tool, and you don't ever want to ride any horse with reins SO LONG that you have to pull way back behind you to halt.

The horse world would be a great place if we could all ride and train a horse to perform like "Rugged Lark," wouldn't it. :love

Cara

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
I prefer either.......because a horse should work of your leg, more than it's mouth. Preferably. That said, most ranch horses and ranch versatility classes want you to use 2 reins now, they say they prefer it on a working horse, and they like to see a snaffle. :)
Only in a horse under 5yrs old. If you ride a senior horse with two hands you will receive a 20 point penalty EACH time you do it. With each event being scored out of 100, that doesn't leave much room for error. If you ride a senior horse in a snaffle you will be disqualified.

WesternChick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I derect rein and I'm trying to teach my mare to neck rein i think neck reining is easier :frow

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've done both. Used to jump and ride english and direct rein.

Now I trail ride and preference is neck reining. I want a free hand at all times when trail riding.

I bought all my horses and they used bits. I turned all my horses over into hackamores.

So my preference now is neck reining in hackamores. I haven't had a horse with a bit in over 20 years..LOL

Benellisig

Just born
Reaction score
For what it's worth so late in this post, all my horses are trained to do both. They started out as direct reined, then progressed to neck reining. Leg pressure came after they mastered the other two. I also have out of state riding friends visit but didn't want to trailer to me for just a day of riding. If they're used to neck or direct reining, my horses don't have an issue and everyone has a pleasant ride.

I've also gotten all my horses used to mounting from both sides. I have very bad knees. Some days I can't get up on one or the other. Then again, sometimes I need a little assistance from a stump and you can't alway position your horse on a trail to accomodate mounting on the left side.

Well rounded horses are great!

LauraM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As for leg pressure, for some reason my dad has this idea that you use the inside leg to turn. Don't ask me where he even heard that. I use outside leg to turn, unless I want the hips to turn away from my leg in a turn, like in barrels. So suffice to say, my dad has been training his horse to move away from inside pressure. Totally backwards for me, but he got mad when I was doing it "my" way. Sooo...with MY horse, I'm going to teach her MY way, and he can do whatever he wants with his LOL. (Perhaps there are trainers out there that teach this way, or maybe I am completely backwards, but it just seems so unnatural the way he is doing it. It makes more sense to me that if you want the horse to move AWAY from pressure, and you are turning to the left, you use your right foot.)
"Your" way is correct. However, what your dad may be thinking of (and has perhaps misinterpreted) is that you do use your inside leg at the girth, as a sort of passive "post" for the horse to bend around. Also, there are times when you would use your inside leg more aggressively, such as when the horse is dropping the inside shoulder and/or not bending well through the ribcage. And, just to confuse things further, dressage riders turn the horse by creating a very active bend through the ribcage with the inside leg, pushing the ribs out (this is where you are still correct in that the horse should move away from pressure) and catching and containing that outward movement of the ribcage with the outside rein (inside rein is a flexing rein, only) as the outside rein bends the shoulder into (or through) the turn. The outside leg is behind the girth as needed to keep the haunches on the line of the bend as well, but the outside leg is not as active as the inside leg. This is because the riders leg effects the horse's rear leg on that same side. And in order for a horse to bend properly whilst maintaining balance and impulsion, it must step up under itself, bringing the rear inside hoof forward and towards the midline of the belly, with enough energy. A horse gets that impulsion from the rider's leg, which creates the energy.

So, in reality, to get the best bend with the best balance from your horse, one needs to use all four limbs as well as their weight properly......though in a nutshell, one could say that the inside leg is the most active.

That all being said, most riders and horses are never going to need the type of bend, balance, strength and impulsion needed by upper level dressage horses, and the vast majority of horses only ever need some outside leg behind the girth to keep their haunches in line, with a more passive inside leg at the girth to keep the ribs bent and to be there in case the inside shoulder drops, (with the weight and the upper body position of the rider being correct as well, of course).

You can see, though, how easily it can all become confused. ;) To avoid that confusion, one needs to always keep in mind that one should apply and adjust EACH INDIVIDUAL AID (BODY PART) AS NEEDED to produce a movement or correct a problem. :)

If you are going to be trail riding, here is an article with some ideas and tips on specific training for trail riding. One section does give some basic tips on starting neck reining.

Training for Trail Riding

ducks4you

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LauraM, I enjoyed your article. Our experiences follow Murphy's Law--we are prepared so we don't need the stuff we've packed. :lol: We ride with 2 sets of saddle-bags--one set has tack extras (Extra girth, extra rein, rawhide and small scissors for tack repair, rubber curry and folding hoof pick) the other has human first aid stuff on one side, and horse first aid stuff on the other, (including old, but clean and bleached wrapping quilt and polo wrap.) I picked up 2 red nylon cell phone carriers that velcro on your belt for $2 each on clearance last spring. They're made for 2000 era-type phones with more room than my current phone needs.
I thought I'd add to your post and mention that it's not a good idea to go trail riding by yourself. Riding in pairs or groups is best. Keep a horse-length space between you and the horse in front of you when riding in file so nobody gets kicked. :D

Latest posts