Necropsy on a Goat

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thankfully we haven't gotten there as yet, but wanted to see if it may be worth doing it and posting about it.....of course I'm speaking of Star and since most haven't seen anything similar to what I have described....I was just wondering if it may help others for me to do something like this? I have disected animals and cleaned animals from hunting, so not totally unfamiliar with procedures, but certain particulars could be more useful to have pics of to see if there may be something there. I would appreciate and need some direction when it comes to this and wanted to have an understanding about it before I roll up my sleeves......I know I don't have much to contribute as far as knowledge and experience, but more than willing to contribute what I can....in hopes it may help another down the road....:)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are very fortunate in that our state lab is close by and will necropsy a goat for $15
It has been very helpful to us in that if we know why one died than we can try to do something going forward
We lost some kids and found out it was coccidia
So we took a different approach
We lost Coleus a doe in her prime and we thought it may have been listeriosis or goat polio
But the necropsy showed she died of heart failure and had damage to one of her heart chambers
The notes said it could have been caused by eating something toxic ( that could not have been the cause nothing there) or selinium deficiency. We give selinium so that's not likely or she could have been deficient at some point before we got her and the damage was caused them
I don't know but I don't think we could have done anything
If you are talking about trying to do your own necropsy I don't know what you could really tell
I saw Dr Pol do one in the field one time on a horse I think with a twisted gut
If you are going to do it look for some abnormality with organs
Parasites you would find in the intestines and probably blood in intestines

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre
Their rates have gone up a bit. Found that out when we had a kid necropsied (kid was born with a cleft palate, we euthed it, and wanted to see if anything else was abnormal- nothing was found- just a fluke). It was like $65 or $70.
Still not bad though. Just a bit higher than what it used to be.

So sad about Coleus. Was she the mother of the kid you lost with WMD?
I think that was the case with our first ND buck we brought. He had a heart issue too, and was a yearling when we got him. He ended up dying, his heart just couldn’t keep up. I think he was probably Selenium deficient as a kid.

Sorry for the hi-jack @CntryBoy777 :hide

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre
Their rates have gone up a bit. Found that out when we had a kid necropsied (kid was born with a cleft palate, we euthed it, and wanted to see if anything else was abnormal- nothing was found- just a fluke). It was like $65 or $70.
Still not bad though. Just a bit higher than what it used to be.

So sad about Coleus. Was she the mother of the kid you lost with WMD?
I think that was the case with our first ND buck we brought. He had a heart issue too, and was a yearling when we got him. He ended up dying, his heart just couldn’t keep up. I think he was probably Selenium deficient as a kid.

Sorry for the hi-jack @CntryBoy777 :hide

You are right we lost a Coleus kid to WMD
We discussed that in the context of her having Selinium deficiency
She had litters if you recall
She may have needed more Selinium than we were giving her

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's fine....I'm just testing the waters to see if others may find it helpful....if not, then I certainly won't attempt it. I think she has a tumor or growth along her esophogus that is causing her issues, she does have a large lump in that area just above the breast bone where the neck meets the chest.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right we lost a Coleus kid to WMD
We discussed that in the context of her having Selinium deficiency
She had litters if you recall
She may have needed more Selinium than we were giving her
And when she died she was pregnant with a single kid
After 3,4,3,4 I think
I think she was just worked to hard

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's fine....I'm just testing the waters to see if others may find it helpful....if not, then I certainly won't attempt it. I think she has a tumor or growth along her esophogus that is causing her issues, she does have a large lump in that area just above the breast bone where the neck meets the chest.

I think you should do it
If it's something like that you can tell
If you have dressed animals and know what healthy organs look like if it is a cancer you can probably tell
Sorry she is sick

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it could be educational.
I’ve seen several in person, and have watch many cattle necropsies.

That being said, she is your goat and has lived a long life. If you aren’t up to it, we understand :hugsSo sorry you are facing this :(

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is a pic of it.... IMAG3610.jpg ...it isn't the little pocket of skin on the breast, but above that and runs up the neck 3-4". We got these as experimental and to learn about them....never having had them before....I hte taking an animal out, but have done so many times to end their suffering.....I can't stand to see anything suffer. I wouldn't now if something was cancerous by looking at it, but I figure that I can take and post some pics for ya to analyze. If I've done something wrong, then I'd like to know so I will know to change or monitor something. It is difficult to do when there isn't a goat vet around.