Need Advice - Bring City Raised Pyrenees to Goat Farm?

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
watchdogps said:
BetterHensandGardens said:
Can anyone with LGD experience weigh in on bringing a two year old city raised dog to a farm with goats/chickens?

How do you go about introducing the dog and goats, and how can you even see if it would work out?
My biggest concern would be a fence. It doesn't sound like you have one. A few acres won't keep that dog home. I've had no problems introducing my adult anatolians to livestock, so that wouldn't worry me much.
Actually, we do have a fence - but it's only 4 feet high, and has electric strands on the top and bottom (on the outside). Would that hold a Great Pyr if it wanted out? And how likely is it that it will want to roam - this is a neutered male.

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I think there is potential for it to work out, provided the dog hasn't been 'ruined'. Unfortunately, there's potential for disaster, too.

If he's bonded to humans, he may well refuse to stay w/ the goats.

Some are more prone to chase chickens than others. Edge could care less, Gus loves to chase them. He's never hurt one, but I do my best to keep them away from him.

At 2 yrs old, the dog is just past the puppy phase. What would worry me most is making sure when kids arrive that he knows NOT to 'play' w/ them.

And the fencing could be an issue.

Honestly, I think this dog may not be a good fit for you. I would be leery of taking on a city raised LGD, and I've had several LGD over the years.

eta: Also, if your goats aren't used to a HUGE dog, they may run from it when you introduce. That could induce the dog to chase (he thinks they're 'playing' w/ him) and if the does are early bred, I wouldn't want them being chased all over.
We recently brought home 2 Obs. I put them in a pen the dogs are in and they went nuts, they were petrified of the dogs. The dogs didn't try to chase them, but the goats would bolt every time they saw the dogs.
Luckily, my dogs just looked at me like, "Mom! What's up w/ these goats? How can I guard them if they keep running from me?"
I'm certainly leery of taking on a city raised LGD; and I'm pretty sure the goat girls are going to be petrified. When we took them to be bred, they saw their first cat (all 10 lbs. of her) and were visibly shaking. I can only imagine what will happen when they see this dog for the first time. We have an empty horse stall next to the stall the goats are in, and they both open onto the fenced pasture. So, I was wondering if I could put the dog in the other stall, let the goats out and have them stare at him for awhile through the gate, and then switch until they got used to each other while still being separated.

How do non-city raised LGD's know not to "play" with kids when they arrive? Hadn't even thought of that one yet :/

How long would it take to determine whether he's so bonded to humans that he won't stay with the goats?

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
watchdogps said:
Can anyone with LGD experience weigh in on bringing a two year old city raised dog to a farm with goats/chickens?

How do you go about introducing the dog and goats, and how can you even see if it would work out?
My biggest concern would be a fence. It doesn't sound like you have one. A few acres won't keep that dog home. I've had no problems introducing my adult anatolians to livestock, so that wouldn't worry me much.
Actually, we do have a fence - but it's only 4 feet high, and has electric strands on the top and bottom (on the outside). Would that hold a Great Pyr if it wanted out? And how likely is it that it will want to roam - this is a neutered male.
Oh good! It really depends on the dog, but that is a good set up. Most don't like electric. Pyrs aren't generally going to clear a fence, they usually climb, but hopefully the strands will stop that if he tries.

watchdogps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You have the right idea about getting BOTH parties used to each other. A lot of people forget the livestock end of it, and the animals panic and set the dog into chase mode and they think the dog is bad. My suggestion is the following:
Get the animals used to each other while separated first. Do things to associate good stuff with each other, like feed them progressively closer to the other (esp the goats to get them to go close to him)
Spend some time with the dog one on one. Make friends with him, build a relationship. Lgd breeds take a while, a few weeks, to transfer their affections, so be patient. Don't do "I'm the boss" type stuff, just do "hey, we are buddies" but also do some asking him to do little things like sit and come when called with a motivational approach not militant. If you do not build
this relationship before introducing him to the goats, he will have no reason to look to you for input or listen to you if you tell him he is not behaving appropriately.
Don't move too fast. Do not leave him unsupervised with the girls until ypu have had a few weeks of perfect behavior from him.
If he seems to want to come in the house, don't be too hard on him, he's just confused. Make his new accomodations appealing to him. A cushy bed, good chewies, etc. Don't worry, he'll be sleeping in dirt soon, but for now he might need a little easing into the less pampered life.

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
watchdogps said:
You have the right idea about getting BOTH parties used to each other. A lot of people forget the livestock end of it, and the animals panic and set the dog into chase mode and they think the dog is bad. My suggestion is the following:
Get the animals used to each other while separated first. Do things to associate good stuff with each other, like feed them progressively closer to the other (esp the goats to get them to go close to him)
Spend some time with the dog one on one. Make friends with him, build a relationship. Lgd breeds take a while, a few weeks, to transfer their affections, so be patient. Don't do "I'm the boss" type stuff, just do "hey, we are buddies" but also do some asking him to do little things like sit and come when called with a motivational approach not militant. If you do not build
this relationship before introducing him to the goats, he will have no reason to look to you for input or listen to you if you tell him he is not behaving appropriately.
Don't move too fast. Do not leave him unsupervised with the girls until ypu have had a few weeks of perfect behavior from him.
If he seems to want to come in the house, don't be too hard on him, he's just confused. Make his new accomodations appealing to him. A cushy bed, good chewies, etc. Don't worry, he'll be sleeping in dirt soon, but for now he might need a little easing into the less pampered life.
Thanks for all the good advice, we'll be putting it into practice here shortly. Talked to the current owner today, and they will be bringing him this Friday. Never know of course how it will turn out..............they did say that if things weren't working they'd take him back.