1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Newest Additions <3 Valentines Day Presents! - Celebrating Valentines Day for this week.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice for bottle baby ASAP..

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by Janie, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Feb 3, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

If you have children please disbud. All our goats are sweet, friendly and well mannered and at one time I was extremely pro horn. But time, experience has changed that.
    Rescuing horned goats from vines and trees before they strangle is an issue, horns stuck in fencing is an issue. Although your goat may never try to hurt you it happens, horns get massive too. All that has to happen is the goat suddenly jerk back, startle and there is your face.
    I wrote several articles here on BYH- they have not been updated in forever but I will do a brief update- we no longer sedate but do disbud all our goats. Safer, no losses since we stopped using sedation. Recovery better. IOW Instant.

Millie is still in our herd and will live her life here.

https://www.backyardherds.com/resources/horns-dis-bud-polled.31/
    millie story dangerous horns- https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/de-horned-2yr-old-doe-week-3-update.28257/page-2#post-358403

babsbag likes this.