Need Advice on 8month Doe

MrsWildside

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this website and a little new at owning goats; I've never owned young goats before, so the question might seem a little "scatter-brained".. So I'm just going to basically describe what is going on...

I have a beautiful Doeling, Gompers, she just turned 9 months (made a mistake in the title)....

She's a Nigerian Dwarf/Saanen breed. When we got her last month, she was super mild and quiet. Never made a peep except for a soft bleat...

Just last week, I started to notice a gel-like goop by her little "misses".

Then a day after that, I noticed she was becoming aggressive and irritable towards her sister (but refuses to leave her side); biting on her ear, putting her front legs on her back, bucking at her when they eat...

And just today, she's been bleating like crazy! Her bleats are loud, and after she does a loud bleat, she sounds like she's snorting or something....

And according to my husband, her "misses" is puffy...

Also, she's been trying to run over into my neighbors yard...why? Well, they have goats too... Not sure what kind, but either way... They have goats. And my girls are always talking to them.

Anyway, I'm sorry that this is so scatter-brained, but I'm really at a loss. **sigh**

She's very perky, has an appetite, doesn't look like she has bloat...

Any information would be VERY much appreciated!!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH and congrats on your new goats! I have sheep myself, but I'm going to make a wild guess that your doe is in heat.

If you have pictures to share we'd love to see them!

MrsWildside

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH and congrats on your new goats! I have sheep myself, but I'm going to make a wild guess that your doe is in heat.

If you have pictures to share we'd love to see them!

Thank you so much for the fast reply!!! What do you suggest I do to help her along with this? Does it pass? It is such a startling event and I don't want her to be frustrated

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the fast reply!!! What do you suggest I do to help her along with this? Does it pass? It is such a startling event and I don't want her to be frustrated
It will pass, but I don't know details (and like I said it's a wild guess), so hopefully some goat folks will chime in soon! @Southern by choice @babsbag @Goatgirl47 @OneFineAcre and I know there's a bunch of others.

Are you planning to breed either of your goats?

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
They stay in heat for a day or two varies by goat
She will come in heat every 21 days unless she is bred
Now Saanens are seasonal breeders fall and winter but Nigerians are year round but their heats aren't as strong in spring and summer
I would guess if not bred yours will slow down in March and then start back in Sept but hard to say for sure

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @MrsWildside :frow :welcome! Seems like your initial question has been answered. Glad you joined the site! When you get a chance, there's a whole lot of good info over on the goat threads... Make yourself comfy and enjoy :caf. Lots of great goatie folks here too, so if you have a problem or question you just can't seem to get answered, just post away. Someone will get back to you pretty quick!

MrsWildside

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It will pass, but I don't know details, so hopefully some goat folks will chime in soon! @Southern by choice @babsbag @Goatgirl47 @OneFineAcre and I know there's a bunch of others.

@norseofcourse : yes, I would like to breed them at some point.. I'm just a little too new at the moment, and it wouldn't be fair to them to have a complete newbie breed them. Going to wait a little longer till I feel confident enough to do it! :)

It will pass, but I don't know details (and like I said it's a wild guess), so hopefully some goat folks will chime in soon! @Southern by choice @babsbag @Goatgirl47 @OneFineAcre and I know there's a bunch of others.

MrsWildside

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They stay in heat for a day or two varies by goat
She will come in heat every 21 days unless she is bred
Now Saanens are seasonal breeders fall and winter but Nigerians are year round but their heats aren't as strong in spring and summer
I would guess if not bred yours will slow down in March and then start back in Sept but hard to say for sure

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel kinda bad that she will miss out for her first "heat," but it would be bad for her if someone as new as me just went ahead and let her get possibly pregnant.. What do you make of her her "grunting" noises? is that a normal trait for a doe in heat?

What she does is bleat, and after a bleat, she does like a "gulp-grunt" sound... I've never heard anything like it before.. any thoughts?

MrsWildside

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Greetings @MrsWildside :frow :welcome! Seems like your initial question has been answered. Glad you joined the site! When you get a chance, there's a whole lot of good info over on the goat threads... Make yourself comfy and enjoy :caf. Lots of great goatie folks here too, so if you have a problem or question you just can't seem to get answered, just post away. Someone will get back to you pretty quick!

Thank you SO MUCH for the welcome!! :D I have been so focused on making my girls comfortable that I havent had a chance to really sit back and read all the amazing threads that this site has to offer! I am sincerely going to keep up with this and keep up with progress posts of my girls! Thank you again for the awesome welcome!!! :woot

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That grunting/snorting sound your doe is making is part of being in heat. I have Nigerian Dwarfs and the snorting sound is usually what my girls do first before the tail flagging and boy calling.

A big howdy and welcome to you from the Great Lone Star State, where the stars at night are big and bright. Glad to have you here! Grab yourself a beverage from yonder table and come sit. Goaties plot ways to confuse, alarm and panic their humans. I think they get together and tell stories to each other about how they got their mommies to go crazy... and then they go do something that is absolutely adorable.

Hang in there and your girl with return to her normal charming self. Right now she is in hormone overload... or as Nina Simone might say, she wants some sugar...

And, how about some pictures of your goaties? We are all very much addicted to ooooohing and aaaaaaahing over other folks goaties and other animals. Please and thank you very much!

Latest posts