Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I am new to BYC but not new to chickens. Years ago, my husband built me a chicken tractor out of our son's radio flyer wagon. I decided to go bigger this time & bought a goat trailer to modify. The lighting isn't so great in the pictures, I'm not sure if you can see the floor is thick rubber. When the chicks are full grown, I'll remove the rubber mats (I'll use pine shavings for now & clean daily) We took off the flat medal roof & welded on metal rafters & installed roof. We still have to cut thru the metal front (closest to hitch) to install a nesting boxes. We'll use an electric netting fence around the chicken tractor while they free range in the pasture but still close them up at night. My question is placement of the roosting bars. We have so many coons around here & I fear if the electric fence were to ever fail, they could reach in & grab a hen. I've thought about putting chicken wire on one side & putting the roosting bars to that side. We are not sure yet about how we will winterized the coop. Removable panels? It gets so hot here in the DFW area, ventilation is very important. We do plan on making a platform on the rear side behind the tire for a water container & run horizontal nipples inside. Unsure on the feeder but maybe a PVC pipe type. I would love to have some opinions on how you would make this trailer into a chicken tractor. See if you can spot our black Dog, Bella. She's been a big help!

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would use 1/2inch hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Coons can rip through and reach through chicken wire.

It looks like the existing wire should keep larger critters out. What about weasels and snakes? Not sure what critters are in your area. You may want to do the hardware cloth the whole way around at least 2 foot up. If a hen is napping by unprotected wire she could still be grabbed.

I think adding winter panels will work well. I am certain you will get that worked out.

Getting chicks is exciting!
I think I may get a few tomorrow for my broody hen. She is solid on the nest now.

What breeds are you getting?

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you @21hens-in charge. No weasels but do have snakes. The hardware cloth overlapping the current metal, may make small enough spaces to keep most things out. My husband thinks I'm paranoid. He hasn't read the sad stories on BYC. I would have never thought that a raccoon would eat a chicken alive!
I had planned on getting Barred Rock again. However, the feed store had Black Australorps & Red sexlinks pulets on sale, buy 1 get 2 free. (They were getting quite big & out growing their enclosure) I knew nothing about either breed but left with 12 total. Afterwards I got on BYC & got educated. I think I'll be happy with the Black Australorps but not so sure about the Sexlinks. Time will tell. I'm trying to be open minded & get out of my comfort zone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 129

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Aussies are my all time favorite breed. Just wait til they get the adult feathers in! The colors are very pretty.
I know very little about the red sex links sadly.

I think erring on the side of caution is a good idea.... Especially since you would not want that kiddo to be the one to find the body.

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
image.jpg
That pic is my youngest grandson. This is my oldest Grandson. Both love animals!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 109

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My Aussies have been my best long term layers. I had a flock years ago and even at 5 years old most laid daily. I had to give them away as I had to move to town so no idea how well they did after that.
My current flock has a lot of Aussie babies in it.

They are very trouble free birds.

Cute grandkids by the way.

eggbert420

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I live in Texas also, in the summer your chicken will appreciate the extra ventilation. I put my perch above the nesting boxes so that nothing could reach in.
20170508_173848-1632x1224.jpg

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Aahhhhh Thanks @21hens-incharge.
Great news about the Aussies. So far, they are a wild bunch. I have them in a large dog kennel at night in the garage. I've placed several roost inside & tray has paper towels covered with pine shavings that's changed daily. I'm letting them free range in the yard with my supervision during the day (I don't get a lot done inside) but I handle each one each morning & then each night, I do an inspection of full body & feet. They just tolerate it. I'm hoping they become as tame as my barred rocks were.

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live in Texas also, in the summer your chicken will appreciate the extra ventilation. I put my perch above the nesting boxes so that nothing could reach in.
View attachment 33587
Great job on your perch. our nesting boxes will stick out of the coop with a lid that can be opened up by the hitch area. Because I have 12 hens & I want them all to roost & stay off the floor (someday I will take up the mat & the droppings can fall to the ground thru the metal) I think I need the roost to go length wise (trailer is 4 feet wide & 8 feet long) my husband doesn't want to take up floor space & thinks the roost should be closer to the sides. Even if we put hardware cloth over the existing metal, I'm scared of coons. We could put the roost with the metal roof being at their backs but that's an almost 5 ft drop to the floor. .??

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They mellow a lot when they start laying. :cool: Mine never like getting picked up. I do handle mine a little each day too. Makes adult health checks easier.

I have a cockerel in my lot of chicks this year. :he even at just 5 weeks he is acting up. He would be an ornery too given what I am seeing already.
:(

The males are easy to spot early on.

Latest posts