Need advice on chicken coop

Hamiam

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You may end up putting some painted plywood on those bars. It looks like that could be the hard part to clean. I am not sure of the spacing on the bars BUT I had a hen have as freak accident. She got a single toe caught in the only exposed slot on my mental brackets that hold my roosts. She flailed and nearly lost the toe if not her life. I was home and heard the chaos so was quick tho be able to rescue.

The board has been replaced and covers that danger spot.

A painted piece of plywood could be made to be removable for replacement or hosing off. I say painted since mine painted with porch paint are still holding up to weekly scrapings after I scoop out the shavings.
Oh my! So glad you were home. Thank you for pointing that out.
image.jpg
There are spaces between the boards & the large wires. I will definitely paint the boards & look for a safe fix. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again @21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The wire slat floor too. ;)

You are welcome. Learn from others mistakes. Life hurts less that way.

Honestly that rubber mat is a blessing in disguise really. I would use it and see how it goes.

eggbert420

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@eggbert420
It looks like you have chicken wire on yours. A raccoon can take it's hands and rip it right open whether you have them up above it or not. So just a word of caution, I'd use hardware cloth rather than the chicken wire.
Thank you, for your concern. I keep dogs and i'm not worried about predators. I haven't had a predator attack in 10 years.

As far as a raccoon ripping chicken wire with his hands, don't believe everything you read on the internet. You are stronger than a raccoon. Try ripping it with your hands.
However if it is not stretched and stapled properly, they can pull the wire hard enough to unstaple it.