Need advice on how to house young and old boar

Shovinga

Just born
Reaction score
I've been doing the whole pig thing for awhile now but we have a 3 yo ossabaw sow and almost 5yo pure ossabaw boar that is just a beastly baby and as of yesterday evening we acquired a 9mnth old boar of the same breed my questions are how should I seperate them should I keep the new guy in a different pen but up next to them so he can get use to her or should I put the new guy with the sow and seperate the older boar I honestly don't even know if I have to seperate them but I know they could fight a bit but I dont want him getting injured after 200+miles and 8hrs of driving.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Separate pen for the new one. Give him time to get acclimated to your place, the water, the feed and all. Becareful of keeping him in a pen right next to the others, the older boar might take offense and try to get through the fence. With only 1 sow, may I ask why you got another boar? Are you thinking of keeping some gilts from the older pair? Don't put the sow with the new one, he needs time to just get used to the changes. You need to watch him for any signs of sickness, problems too. Not saying that you didn't get a perfectly healthy pig, but with traveling and all, could pick up some temp illness.