Need advice on washing fleeces....

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I have nine fleeces in my garage. I think I waited too long to clean them...but life was crazy and I cleaned one last summer and it took a couple of weeks to dry. So while the woodstove is going, I figured I'd get it done.

I took a hunk and put it into a laundry mesh bag and soaked it in detergent and very hot water, letting it sit 20-30 minutes without agitation and without the water cooling significantly. The first soak produced brown muddy water, less on the second, none on the third. I'm about to put it into a rinse and hang it to dry, then start on the next hunk from that fleece.

But...the fleece went to yellow with brown bits to white with brown bits. Same thing last summer, but this is worse. Why do I see gorgeous white fleeces in the tutorials that people post online?

I may have to use these for stuffing, but I was hoping to do some spinning for the first time and make a little something, and maybe make a felted scarf or shawl or something interesting. But not if it is urine (or whatever) stained.

Ideas? Suggestions?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What animal is the fleece from?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Maybe try a bluing shampoo? Orvus is also a good one for getting out yellow stains. It can be found at most livestock supply stores.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Anything with soap will felt the fleece, so detergent only. I'll look at the plain bluing at the grocery store, the type you add....I think I saw some.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry free...but I just can't resist. I have nothing knowledgable to contribute to this topic other than to say that each time I see your thread topic I think you're talking about washing f e e c e s :sick

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Free, my m-i-l who's been a handspinner for longer than I've been alive, and a pretty good one, uses only Orvus paste to wash fleeces. (in fact we had to buy her a new tub of it so she could do my shetlands' fleeces from last spring). So you might try that.

If you want to use blueing I would suggest using just a leetle bit of straight bluing and being *awfully* cautious with it cuz you KNOW what happens to horses' tails that way :p Might be hard to get different batches exactly the same, too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
As long as you don't agitate soap won't cause issues. I've usually parted fleeces so I don't have to handle a whole soggy fleece, plus it makes it easier to get it clean without agitating accidently. Good luck! :)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Off to find Orvus! Hey, if I use blueing, I can wash and dye in one step! :p

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Sorry free...but I just can't resist. I have nothing knowledgable to contribute to this topic other than to say that each time I see your thread topic I think you're talking about washing f e e c e s :sick
You are mostly correct, actually....I want to get all the feces out of my fleecies!!! :p