Need Counsel...

AmberRaif

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She came to us already bred. She had been bred young, about seven months old. She's about 1 year now. I don't know if some of those circumstances could have effected this outcome...she was still growing as she grew a baby too! I'm just so thankful they are both okay! And thank you all for the validation that we did the right thing intervening and going in. First timer here with kidding....and instinct kicked in but I was still second guessing if she really needed help or if I was just messing it up and introducing infection. So thank you much for the confidence boost!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well done for the delivery.....too big to come out unaided, I'm sure. If babies get stuck in the birth canal they will die, and the mother may do so, too.

Breeding early isn't ideal as the baby may be too big to be born (dystocia) and mothering may be less good than an older animal, but most do fine.

Over here we are told always to give antibiotics after assisted delivery, but doe and kid are likely to be fine.

Again....well done.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like your midwife abilities have the official stamp of BYH approval. Well done.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on pulling and saving the kid! It is always a frightening thing having to pull a kid even if you are experienced. Then you actually did the whole swinging and reviving thing! Yay AmberRaif!!!
:celebrate

I always gave an antibiotic when having to go into a doe or ewe and rearrange kids/lambs. This year I did not have to go in deep and did nit give any antibiotics and ewe was fine. If you don't have anything, don't bother calling out the vet. Check at the feed store for penicillin. Feed stores usually carry that and also disposable syringes. Unless an infection develops I only give 1 injection unless the doe looks pretty beat up. Then I continue the course of antibiotics for several days. As long as your hands were scrubbed and disinfected, you are probably ok. Keep an eye on her, and unless she starts to look off, or there is a bad smell from her vaginal discharge, don't worry.