Need cow help NOW!

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is a post I am putting in for my sister in Ky who's cow is down. A little history, they bought her (Jersey) about four months before she was due to calve and she was still milking. They dried her up two months before calving. Upon buying her they noticed she had a somewhat course hair, and she had a cough which the owner told her was no big deal. This being their first cow the obviously believed her. Now she calved and her milk was really low and the calf was very weak and died later that week. About a month ago she had blood tinged mucous coming from her nose. She was tested by a vet for TB and it was negative. They put her on a good mineral and have been giving her kelp and the blood has stopped. Now however she just will not put on weight and was down this morning. She is still eating but won't get up. The vets they had out to help since a month ago will not help her they say she isn't worth bothering with and to put her down. They don't know much about cows though. They were able to get a calcium drench for her because they seem to think she has calcium deficiency cause they have caught her drinking her own milk from the pail once when they forgot the bucket. They also gave her a dose of Bo-SE and are on their way to get Vit B complex. They are wondering if anyone has any idea what this is they are dealing with and what if anything they can do to get her up and healthy. Please help!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Give your sister a :hugs from me...

I can't really help you as I'm not very experienced in cows, but hopefully another cow member can help.

Did they have any idea how long she had that cough for before they bought her?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would follow the Vet's advice !

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No, they don't know how long she had the cough. Any I know a good deal about vet's and alot of times I think they pretend to know alot about some animals when they know nothing. I don't take alot of a vet's word for things UNLESS they went to vet school specifically for THE ANIMAL in question, then I listen whole-heartedly. This vet they are dealing with just doesn't want to mess with a cow.

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
No, they don't know how long she had the cough. Any I know a good deal about vet's and alot of times I think they pretend to know alot about some animals when they know nothing. I don't take alot of a vet's word for things UNLESS they went to vet school specifically for THE ANIMAL in question, then I listen whole-heartedly. This vet they are dealing with just doesn't want to mess with a cow.
Vets have to go to school for all species and although they can "focus" more on small animal or large animal there is no way to do just one species. Trust me...been there, done that. ;)

How long ago did she calve?

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmmm.......I think she calved around the beginning of November if I remember right but I am having a hard time remembering. Well they thought maybe pneumonia so they had given her antibiotics. She still coughs however. I should see if they had her tested for johne's. I know they had her tested for tb.