Need Details on your kid barrels.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i found a source fo the 55 gallon blue barrels right around the corner from me for $10 each. I am going to purchase two of them.

Not too long ago, someone posted pics of how the electical was done. I think it was 20KidsONHill or JodieF100, but not sure.

Whomever it was, can you post the pics to this thread and tell me what the dimmension are for your holes and what you used to cut the hole.

Thanks,
Ed

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
They both have them. kslavano (I thin that's how it goes) has them too.

Congrats on the barrels though. I need me some for water.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
They both have them. kslavano (I thin that's how it goes) has them too.

Congrats on the barrels though. I need me some for water.
SHK my DH has gotten a few smaller barrels from work. We are planning to use them to make feeders. Just have to get it figured out. We use some of them for feed storage right now and have had a few sitting on the porch till we figure out what to do with them. They aren't 55 gallon ones. Probably about half that size.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
yes, we also have them. THere are a few pictures of them on my kidding thread.
Don't cut the door higher than half way, start lower at first you can always cut more away.
We used a round circul cutting blad on a drill, we purchased it for this particular job, but you need the hole to be big enough to put the male end of the heat lamp receptical up through it from the inside out, but not so big that the female end will fall through when you screw it onto the top.
We use the 250 watt heat lamp bulbs for colder weather, or warming up a cold wet kid, and the 125 watt to just take the chill off of them. I reallyl don't leave mine on very much. But we don't get much below the 20's. A couple years when we kidded it was single digits.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ours are a little different. We have the barrels with the kid door cut in them. But, we do not use light bulbs in the barrels. We use a small infared heater, placed on the outside of the pen, aimed into another hole cut in the back of the barrels. This way, no electric where goats can get too it, no chance of chewing or knocking over the heater, and makes a more even, widespread heat. The heater we have has safety feature of auto shutoff at certain temp, and if tipped over. Doesn't use any more electric than the light bulb did in our old barrels.