Need help but not really a cow ?

crzychicken

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Which freezer is better for beef Upright or chest freezer I can't decide please help. Thank you

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We keep ours in the chest freezer but, I know of some who use the upright. I pile the boxes of hamburger up on one side and then separate and pile (out of boxes) the rest of the cuts. This way it's easier to find what I'm looking for. Some use the upright in order to keep things separate.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
I've never had the chest type, a friend had one and by watching her I learned 2 things!
I like the upright, everything has it's place and you can find things without digging!
And, I'm too short to reach all the stuff that ends up in the bottom of the chest type!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
either freezer is good.but i like the chest type because it cant come open accadently like an up right freezer can.

Pure Country

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have both. We got the chest freezer first, long before we had the cows. That was ok. Then we started raising our own beef. We then got a huge upright. Much better. I would like to get another upright and get rid of the chest freezer.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
either freezer is good.but i like the chest type because it cant come open accadently like an up right freezer can.
My upright seals shut. It actually can be hard to open and if I open it, close it and forgot something, I had better wait a bit before I open it again or it's next to impossible. It makes a noise like it's vacuum sealing or something. :idunno

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I like the chest freezer and I use colored milk crates to separate food and I date everything nice and big so I can find it. Also keep a list of what goes in and what I take out a little more work but handy, I date what goes in so i can use older first. Some milk crates are too tall to stack so I cut them down

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic of how I arrange mine in a chest freezer.
Freezer-beef.jpg

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
That's why god created bungee cords!

I have 2 uprights,
1 has a bugee cord on it to ensure it stays shut!
1 is like Kitty describes, if you forgot to grab something, you might as well go take a nap and try again later!

Kitty your freezer looks too neat and organized!
Where's the fish eggs, packages of bait sardines and smelt, the misc. animal pelts you need to take in for tannng or the deer rack you have been putting off mounting since last fall?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
thewife said:
Kitty your freezer looks too neat and organized!
Where's the fish eggs, packages of bait sardines and smelt, the misc. animal pelts you need to take in for tannng or the deer rack you have been putting off mounting since last fall?
I don't have any of that stuff in the freezer but, the other things are in the upright. :D This one is primarily for the beef. When we have one butchered the freezer is full. Somewhere in these freezers I have to make room for pork this winter. Hmmmmmmm.......