Need HELP by Saturday- Calf Sitter

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
dwdonfire is graciously letting me borrow her little calf for a couple weeks! Isnt this wonderful? I love bottle babies!

You silly people THINK I am being nice, but hahaha, jokes on you! I get to have a bottle baby and look at those long eyelashes slowly blinking at me while baby drinks a bottle. sigh.............I'm in love and I havent even seen the calf yet. lol

Dwbonfire also graciously offered to pay in hay, not neccesary but very much appreicated!

This forum is great! She gets her vacation and I get baby breath!
I must say I didn't know Red was such a softy, so endearing...:p

Pumpkinpup

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
dwdonfire is graciously letting me borrow her little calf for a couple weeks! Isnt this wonderful? I love bottle babies!

You silly people THINK I am being nice, but hahaha, jokes on you! I get to have a bottle baby and look at those long eyelashes slowly blinking at me while baby drinks a bottle. sigh.............I'm in love and I havent even seen the calf yet. lol

also graciously offered to pay in hay, not neccesary but very much appreicated!

Wonderful solution to a complicated situation! I am so happy that baby is going to get a good sitter and Dwbonfire can now go on vacation and not worry so much about her darling calf :) Fabulous!!!!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Pumpkinpup said:
redtailgal said:

also graciously offered to pay in hay, not neccesary but very much appreicated!

Wonderful solution to a complicated situation! I am so happy that baby is going to get a good sitter and Dwbonfire can now go on vacation and not worry so much about her darling calf :) Fabulous!!!!
So true, but will Dwbonfire get the calf back after vacation? I guess we will wait and see! Those long eyelashes slowly blinking at you while this sweet baby drinks a bottle, well it's going to be tough. :lol:

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hey, can I drop off four pigs, five goats, and a bunch of chickens? And two portable dogs? :p

redtailgal

Reaction score
77Herford said:
redtailgal said:

Dwbonfire also graciously offered to pay in hay, not neccesary but very much appreicated!

I must say I didn't know Red was such a softy, so endearing...:p
I'm a total wuss.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Freemotion wrote:

"Hey, can I drop off four pigs, five goats, and a bunch of chickens? And two portable dogs?"

Omigosh, Freemotion! I would love to babysit all those critters for ya.

OOOhh, wait.

I JUST rented out my last stall, to a sweet lady with a sweet lil calf.

Theres just no room..........SORRY! Maybe next time.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Redtailgal... :frow I would really appreciate it if you could pick up the 27 horses on my ranch for a few days or untill I could sell or give them away, so that I can scope out a new retirement home for my wife and I in the Pacific North West ? :hugs You see... the bleediong hearts shut down the horse slaughter houses in the USA and the horse market has virtually disapeared and people are now dumping their horses on my land and the local Sheriff will not remove them from my land. NO rescue group will take any responsibility to feed or house them. I can't even legally give them away since I don't own any of them. They are eating the winter stash of my baled alfalfa and baged corn+ oats + barley meant for the cattle. I need to pay the outstanding and astronomical lawyer bills to legally gain possession of these chow hounds. Too, at that point, Trucking them to Canada or Mexico for slaughter would bankrupt me due to high cost of gas, as well as the Vet bill for Coggins tests for all of the horses. You are so kind hearted that I know that you will help this poor and desperate soul in dire need. I really APPRECIATE your kindness. Thank You ! :bun ( OK, OK, not me ... but a real life cattle rancher neighbor just 10 miles from my ranch that has found himself in this very real life situation here in Cal.. Also, Someone actually cut my pasture fence and dumped an intact and severly injured 2-3 year old colt into my pasture with 6 open mares... :barnie :rant NO rescue group would take him, so I was stuck... my holding + vet. + legal costs were over $3,000 before I could legally GIVE him away. :somad ) :duc Have fun with the bottle feeding! :ya

redtailgal

Reaction score
Wow.

That bites, for the landowners and the horses.

As for taking them, I wish I could. I have always loved horses, worked with horses and since, I was 4, I have dreamed/planned on having my own. However, this is a "family farm" (meaning FIL owns the land and decided what is "allowed" on the property). Sooooo, I am horseless.

One mans trash is another (wo)mans treasure.

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not to highjack this thread or anything but Bossroo, that is horrible! What a frustrating situation to find yourself in. I'm sure there a many people that would take the horses in across the country, but as you say, the legality of it all sounds like a nightmare. I wish you and your neighbors the best with this and hope that the problem is rectified soon. Thank you taking in the colt and doing what you can for him.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When I got a court legal ownership to this so called useless, not even halter broke colt. :rant I had my Vet abort a mare that he bred, then I had the Vet castrate him, then GAVE him away after 4 months of feeding and doctoring his wound.
After this bleeding heart disaster of a law and resulting crash of horse values, however the Vet, labor,feed, etc. costs continued to escalate ( I wonder why???). I was forced to liquidate my 33 horses ( sold most on my horses in 3 states at fire sale prices, leased out best stallion and 2 top mares to 2 provinces in Canada, and gave away 6 other well trained geldings to 6 families in Cal. ). I leased our ranch out for the next 2 years as it is too painful to just walk the empty pastures. ( I have been in the horse breeding business for over 37 years and really loved it.) We are now in the looking process to retire to the PNW. I hope that the cattle rancher doesn't go bankrupt as he just now has the court legal right to legally get rid of his unwanted horse curse. :somad . Can you tell that I am ticked ?